deep democracy

Chris Macrae wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk
Wed Nov 9 11:00:29 PST 2005

  Harrison -regarding missed points love all

REphrasing my question : what more could be done at the space or while people
are in its vicinty to work out how deep each person's deepest cause is? On
globalsiation causes such as here http://www.valuetrue.com/home/community.cfm?
startrow=4&intClassID=-1

I don't ask because I am capable of following up each cause but because I have
over 12 years logged up many people across world networks who are. Nothing de-
energises my 16 hour days as an open networker more than to spend my time
connecting someone who appeared to come out of an open space saying the number
1 humanitarian chnage that matters to them is X with the person amongst the
2000 I know from conversastions over a decade to be most committed to that
cause only to find later that the open space person is no longer that
interested in the cause. I agree people may good naturedly over-commit to all
sorts of good stuff when with kindred spirits without fully reckoning how much
time it will take. But I would like  some way whilst we are all there in real
time and real space of working out who is most deeply committed. Suppose there
are 100 activists there, I would rather have left the open space finding 10
that really had mentioned their number 1 cause for life than 50 great causes
but not knowing who will be a cause holder for what. It's like some gigantic
game of snap, where OS seems to me to miss a trick!

------------
Chris, I think you still are missing the point, at least my point. The core
issue, as I see it, is not OS as a method, but rather the passion of the
people involved which might lead them to follow through on their commitments,
or at least apparent commitments. People make choices with their time and
their lives. What may seem critical at the moment will often become a minor
concern when seen in the larger scheme of things. And maybe more to the point,
what you may deem to be critical, may not appear in the same light to others.
And by the same token, your schedule for follow through may not be theirs. Of
course we could, can and do extend the possibility for action electronically
and with follow on gatherings. In effect we can and must make every effort to
keep the space open. But at the end of the day, and indeed on every day -- it
is the peoples' choice.