deep democracy

Jack Ricchiuto jack at designinglife.com
Sun Nov 6 07:23:20 PST 2005

It is puzzling Chris, how a group¹s energy can move through awareness and
alignment and then, instead of action, their boat is in irons ( In irons:
³A sailboat with its bow pointed directly into the wind, preventing the
sails from filling properly so that the boat can move. It can be very
difficult to get a boat that is in irons back under sail. An old square
rigger could take hours to get underway again². From
www.terrax.org/sailing/glossary/gi.aspx)

In my work, and like HO, I resist the temptation to think that clever or
muscular methods can or even should get in the way of the group¹s sense of
freedom and responsibility for its own actions. To your point  about staying
in community, last year I kept a group of Jewish 20/30-somethings working
through their projects together and it did help to keep momentum. To switch
metaphors, there is an energy in communal  barn-raisings that¹s different
than people working on their own barns.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jack

jack ricchiuto
two.one.six/three.seven.three/seven.four.seven.five
www.designinglife.com / www.appreciativeleadership.com