deep democracy

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at bk.ru
Thu Nov 3 14:23:44 PST 2005

Dear Chris,

Thank you for reviving this thread. Esther I had no idea that you has
contact with Deep Democracy (or did I forget?). I also started a Mindell
thread a few years back. And from what I can see those previous
threads didn't take me to any particular new place.

It is helpful to know that Anne has some knowledge of Mindell, too.
(hi Anne!)

A year ago I spent a few hours trying to find out what body of experience
there is in the application of the Open Forum tool (Mindell's
invention). I signed on to the process work listservs posted a few
messages, got a few responses, learned even of a dissertation on the
application of this instrument (which I would like to purchase).

I still feel the chapter on the connection between Open Forum (Deep
Democracy) and Open Space is unfinished.

I had had the fortune of participating in two of Arnold Mindell's
workshops. The biggest issue with Open Forum work is that is not a
skill that is easily acquired. Arnold says essentially the same as
Harrison: "read the book (Deep Democracy) and do an Open Forum." If it
was that easy, perhaps we'd see a lively Open Forum listserv with almost 500
subscribers, an openforumworldmap.org site, a yearly OpenForum on OpenForum
None of that exists. What is the learning here?

And yet processwork continues to intrigue me.

I continue to be intrigued/nagged by the thought that there is
something beyond open space that is waiting to be born. It has
something to do with bringing together open space and processwork. In
more passionate moments I refer to the Conscious Open Sleep
Organization. If there is something to this, it'll come later. I don't
have a question here yet.

Chris, I enjoy your posts very much and follow with interest.

Warmly,
from where the ducks continue to quack outside my window,
raffi

p.s. On Monday, Kiev is holding its second stammtisch. If you'd like
to send a warm pre-stammtisch greetings, you can send it to Lada
Kanevska <lada at uccg.org.ua> Unfortunately, I won't be there : (
                          mailto:raffi at bk.ru