SV: Afterfeelings

Thomas Herrmann thomas at openspaceconsulting.com
Thu Nov 3 13:45:18 PST 2005

Dear friends in Open Space
Today I had an experience which would have "fried my soul" earlier on. I
facilitated a full day of OST and almost half of the 130 participants left
before the gathering after the third and last session where we re-opened the
space for action. This (so many leaving) took quite some energy from the
group and someone brought this to our attention during the medicin wheel
reflection, which was good. I feel sure that I did good/my best to open and
hold the space so I do not feel any guilt. Just as Harrison says: The good
thing is that it works and the bad thing is that it works (hope I got this
quote right!).

It seems those who left had more important matters to attend to  and I do
not judge them. So they used their feet - which is fine with me. Although
the organizers, who are two public organizations with a common task"force",
have got something to think about.

I have had this happen a few times before (only once or maybe twice with
this type of numbers) and it has been in similair circumstances for example
a diverse group (from different organizations), long day and long travels
and maybe or probably not the highest motivation for moving the matter
forward  (which could be due to several reasons) or even being there in the
first place.

A few years ago I would have been really exhausted after such an experience
but now I feel that I did my job and whatever happens happened and there is
nothing I could do about it. I think this is about trusting myself, the
process and the people.

I think the pre-work is important to reduce the risk of getting into this
kind of situations. Maybe the theme was not the right, maybe the invitation
could have been better, maybe the marketing of the event, maybe leadership
should have been better prepared, maybe we should have had more time to
really achive something, maybe we should have started off with a
storytelling session etc etc. Well this is another story and whatever, I
think that there has been and will continue to be good learning for all
parties.

I do look forward to the follow up meeting which I will facilitate in 3
weeks time!
Warmest regards to all of you
Thomas Herrmann