The NEW Question(s)

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Tue May 31 23:19:38 PDT 2005

In a message dated 5/31/05 7:28:37 AM, masheikh at COGECO.CA writes:

> It is a sad fact of life that one cannot treat all humans as "Thou" all of
> >the time. I guess it is good enough if we can treat most humans as "Thou"
> >some of the time.
> >
> And on May 31st, Masud added:
> The question is how do we choose the person we treat as "Thou"?
> Is it based on some fixed idea of what "my community" is?

Masud--

I'm pondering your question--it seems to me that my choice to treat another
person as "Thou" has much more to do with my inner state on a given day, than a
fixed idea of what "my community" is.   Some days I am distracted, anxious,
too busy--I am not present enough to come to anyone, including myself, as
"Thou."

My community extends out in widening and overlapping circles.   I'm reminded
of a decision we have consciously made in our family:   As our children grow,
enter into (and leave) relationships, marry (and divorce), have children by
procreation and acquire them by marriage, as we grow relationships with extended
family and others who seem like family--if there is any question about
whether someone is part of our family, we include them.

But this does not ensure that I will treat everyone--or anyone--as "Thou."
That is spiritual work that I sometimes just don't succeed at--it's a value I
hope I am growing toward.

Thoughtfully,

Joelle