The World Cafe meets Open Space / Freedom Schock

Alan Klein alan at klein.net
Mon May 30 06:17:04 PDT 2005

Harrison,

Your story of Freedom Shock among senior health care scholars reminds me of
a couple of incidents from my own experience with the other end of the age
spectrum.

Also about 30 years ago (what was in the water then?), I had my first
experience as a first year teacher observing FS among high performing 10
year old kids who were used to receiving lots of teacher approval for being
well behaved and doing lots of workbook pages. I was interested in neither
of those. They were shocked and quite disoriented as they tried to figure
out the new "rules".

A few years later, at a small private school in Pennsylvania, USA, I taught
the oldest kids - 11-12 year olds. David, a 12 year old who was a brilliant
student and had been at the school all his life, was outraged that I would
not assign him work - he had to choose what he wanted to work on. He grew
more and more belligerent about it, eventually disrupting other students. I
told him he had to allow other kids to work. He insisted that I assign him
some work. We had the following exchange:

"David, why are you here?"
"To learn."
"Then get started."
"No. You won't assign me any work."
"But you know what is available to work on, so get started."
"No."
"David, why are you here?"
"Because my parents sent me here."
"Oh, then go ahead and go outside. That way you will satisfy your reason for
being here and you won't be bothering anyone else."

With that he headed outside and went down to the principal's office to get
me fired! Fortunately, she knew what I was up to and simply reiterated the
conversation that I had with him!

Freedom Shock, having run its course, dissipated and David had a great year!

~Alan Klein