AI and Solution focused management?

Kate Armstrong armstrongkm at earthlink.net
Sat May 28 07:21:08 PDT 2005

Hello, Eva:

I would like to share with you one practitioner's understanding of
Appreciative Inquiry. The essence of AI, in my understanding, is "asking the
right questions." It is strengths-based, beginning with the success stories
of the past. This is followed by building on the sense of
(organizational/individual) success and refining the themes of the stories
into "provocative propositions." These in turn become the bases of action
plans, moving the organization/individual forward. During the process, the
participants in AI also explore the "positive core" of the the
organization/self (all the skills, talents, abilities, etc.). The process is
based on a 4-D cycle (discovery/dream/design/destiny) but there is nothing
rigid about it. And, "finally," AI is about exploring/expanding the
possibilities and generating a positive future. Along the way, the passions
and dreams of those involved are not sacrificed to the process or to any
pre-conceived idea of outcomes or results. The same is true during the
process, as the facilitator remains in a position of neutrality regarding
the content of the process. Ultimately, it is the passion and sense of
responsibility to carry forward (sound familiar in OS?) that determines
whether any change process is "successful."

There are many excellent texts on AI, focusing on the 4-D model and
experiential findings in the field. In Positive Organizational Scholarship:
Foundations of a New Discipline (ed. Kim Cameron et al), David Cooperrider
and Leslie Sekerka introduce a new AI model for positive organizational.
This model involves the elevation of inquiry, the fusion of strengths, and
the activation of energy in relation to: the high/low of: a) inquiry into
the Apppreciative World; and b) relatedness to others.

This brief description is possibly falling somewhere in the abyss between an
awkward and unrevealing  "sound byte," and the awkward overload of
information in response to the question you asked. In my practice, which
also includes years of conflict resolution, I have never focused on the
outcome/solution. In my practice, as I attempt to
delicately/gracefully/neutrally facilitate the process of people finding
their own way, I believe my focus is very much in tune with Open Space,
i.e., asking the right questions and holding the space open for people to
discover, dream, and design their own destiny.

What the magic of change process is for me is to witness the birth of a
transformed perspective, when people experience (often for the very first
time) that their future is in their own hands. They can,  with passion and
responsibility,  create and implement their own positive alternative future.
 This magic is part of every change process that I am aware of, be it
Appreciative Inquiry, Future Search, World Cafe, conflict resolution and,
indeed, Open Space. Whether there are a greater or fewer number of steps in
the process, I hold the space and hope that change/transformation will
happen. This is why I do what I do.

All the best,
Kate Armstrong

"THe best way to predict the future is to create it now, together."