leverage points

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Tue May 24 14:59:32 PDT 2005

Masud wrote: "For instance, I believe the principle "Whoever comes are the right people"
has an assumption built in - simply considering the choice of words, which
are not neutral. (This has been raised before, and my purpose in bringing
it up is not to hammer home the point. This "self-realing" example popped
into my head again at this time)"

Actually, I don't think it is as much of an "assumption" as a blinding flash of the obvious. Those  who came are the only ones there! And the reason they are there is that they cared enough to come. That does not make all those who didn't come bad, immoral, or terrible -- but the fact of the matter is that they didn't care enough to come. Now maybe the next time they would feel differently -- care more. Make the necessary arrangements, or sacrifices!  But for this particular Open Space -- those who care came. And CARING is the sole criteria for entry. That alone makes them the "right people." No Caring -- no come...

And why would this be true? Well, I think Open Space is all about passion and responsibility. And if you don't CARE -- no passion, and little hope of accepting responsibility. Who on earth would take responsibility for something they don't care about?

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD  20854