The NEXT Paradigm

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Mon May 23 13:46:12 PDT 2005

I did mention to Teresa and others some of my thoughts on OS and levels
of organizational/collective consciousness.  I wrote some of it in an
article for the OSI Canada Newsletter at the end of last year.  Here are
some excerpts.

I believe that what I put into an Open Space shapes what I learn and get
from the event. Goa was no different.  Part of what I wanted to explore
was the connection between "levels of consciousness or awareness" and
the experience of OST.

Some of the different perceptions of an OST event were apparent to me in
Goa, but not only in the topic conversations.  The whole event reflected
one of the different ways of understanding and opening space.  The
opening in Goa was an emergent process.  I don't think the opener knew
that he was to open the space until close to the time.  The theme was
Open Space and Harrison helped him out during the opening and then at
evening and morning news. Harrison with Arun held and eventually closed
the space while Janet continued as host.  In fact, the space was being
supported and held by many of those present.  In any case, most of us
knew how it went, so the circle was bounded, the principles and law were
honoured, topics were created and conversations happened.

For some, particularly those experiencing OST for the first time (and
there were a number), the ritual and focus as described in the "the
book" were not there.  Even those with previous experience who were more
comfortable with that ritual expressed difficultly with the approach and
some of the "weird" things that happened.  For example, Hindu religious
traditions were honoured at the opening and other times - it was a
special time for Lord Ganesha.

I had also experience an "emergent" opening of the space in Seattle a
few months earlier on a visit.  The Spirited Work community, which had
six folks at this event, use open space every quarter for community
gatherings and have done so for six years.  At the event I attended, the
opening was again quite "emergent" in character.  Nobody walked the
circle.  The principles and law were stated by people throughout the
circle, as if to remind each other.  The agenda was created by
individual initiative and the groups went forward.

Both experiences suggest that some folks are comfortable with opening a
space with little ritual but a common sense of the process.  I think
this is particularly true for those who have substantial experience or
depth.  Being in Open Space is more important than doing.  For others,
having a focus and a way in to the process (the ritual of opening) are
critical to give the permission and encouragement they need to engage.
I think this is especially true for those who have not experienced OS
before, but also true in many situations where the focus/them of the OST
is more instrumental - doing or learning something specific.

These suggest two perspectives on OST and I think there are certainly
more.  There are probably as many as we are people, but I think there
are some patterns.  Some of us are tied to the story and ritual of Open
Space, others are focused more on its ability to produce results, some
can see its ability to create the conditions for relationships and
networks and others are keen to pursue its spiritual depths at multiple
levels.  Many of us have all of these perspectives, emphasizing one or
another depending on the circumstances.  I also think the waves or
levels suggested in Spiral Dynamics can be on helpful way of exploring
the patterns and I've done some further work on that.

Suffice it to say, I do believe that there are different perspectives we
have on Open Space Technology and that affects our participation and
experience.

It's long, but still relevant I think.

Larry

Larry Peterson