Leveraging the power of self-organizing in systems

Therese Fitzpatrick therese.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Mon May 23 12:14:34 PDT 2005

I think and process very differently than the language in Masud's post
so I am thinking "who am I to answer?" but then I remembered that I
live in open space and I can show up where I feel called to show up.

Are you asking what are the paradigms of this listserv and what are
its unstated assumptions, Masud?   I am not interested in integrating
my answer with Dana Meadows' ideas and coming up with something that
might somehow fit together.  But I am very much interested in hearing
from other members of this community about what they think our shared
paradigms and unstated assumptions are.

Here is my paradigm for this list.

Whoever shows up are the right people.
When it starts, it starts.
When it's over, it's over.
Whatever happens is the only thing that could or should.
Everyone is free to participate in this list and everyone is free to
use the law of two feet to show up where and when it has heart and
meaning for them to show up. . . and to withdraw where and when it has
heart and meaning for someone to withdraw.
Everyone is free in this community.

Here are some of my assumptions about this list (others holds other
assumptions, of course):

Each person is interested in thinking about open space.
Each person is interested in learning.
Each person believes we can have a better world.
Each person aspires to be kind and good.
Each person has different ideas and beliefs from the next person and
it's all good.
Each person is more kind and more good than me.
Some people think there are lots of 'shoulds' and 'groundrules' other
than the principles of open space but there are not.  This is open
space.  No shoulds. IMHO.  Here in open space, the next person will
have a different answer and they will also be correct.