an attempt at an answer

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at bk.ru
Sun May 22 23:59:45 PDT 2005

Lisa,
I think a lot of what you said was right on and I really liked your
genuineness in your last message. I hadn't heard this voice before (it
sounded male), I think.

I cannot say I don't feel community here. The OST list is is the closest I have
felt community in an online context. And I know that I am not sure I
know what community is even though many years of my life has been
spent in something ostensibly called intentional community: shared
housing situations, student housing cooperatives (UC-Berkeley).

I think you might be right that I give Harrison too much power. OS
maybe gives me the choice if not to live in equality then maybe in
equity even with the soon-to-be ex-visionaries of this whirled  : )))
(What can I say, I do have a slightly sadistic streak!)

And yes, I *am* creating the feeling that he, Harrison, is preventing something.
And to address that, I will work with this.

And you are right to challenge me on my was-hidden assumption that 'oh raffi
every word you say is like a jewel'. More of my own work.

If we are a community, what is our responsibility to one another? What
is our covenant? Or they are not necessary in the conventional sense?

OF course, the answer right now is just to model being in community. I
see your contributions, Lisa, to our quote-unquote community, I try to make
my bit...And there is much more i know i want to do...

Alan, I think what you wrote about Hong Kong was very interesting.
That might be the fifth paradigm, the (human) world as one organism
just being in community.

Maybe community will never be defined because you cannot define
oneness.

Therese, as for Harrison stepping back. Part of me is goofing around,
which makes for complicated and sometimes difficult communication for
others. The other part of me thinks that Harrison is not modelling
"letting go." And I challenged him very forcefully on that score.

The whole "what have we learned" thread and its tone as started by
Harrison screamed with attachment to outcome for me. And I am inclined
to challenge, you on that score, Harrison. Maybe the challenges can be
very clumsy and awkward, but fortunately we have here a group of
people who probably 99% of the time have the heart and mind to
understand me. That's a lot, and I am not grateful enough for that.

Raffi