Prioritising During a 1 1/2 day OS

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Wed May 4 11:04:10 PDT 2005

Martin -

You wrote:
<1 1/2 day OS coming up .... the client wants to prioritise
and draw out concrete recommendations during that time.
My thought was to have 4 sessions (on 'provision of health and social
services to new communities'), browse the gallery and do a sticky-dot
convergence, and then re-open for a 5th session on  theme of drawing
out  specific recommendations (in this case on official policy and
services regarding health and social services ).
Do you think this can work in this short time?  (3 hours day one and 6
hours day two)????>

So to my mind the length of time is okay, but as for the design - partly
it depends on who the participants are and in what capacity they are
sharing all of this good rich thinking.  Are they an advisory group, or
the group of people that holds the responsibility for getting things
done post-event?  If they are advising someone else on what are issues
that matter to people like them, I suppose it would work to have them
hold sessions, then 'sticky-dot converge' (to inform the sponsor of
something you can rephrase and put to them for their dotting), then
think of recommendations in groups and write those up for the sponsor.

But if they are the people whose job it is to carry the actions forward,
I would NOT converge - merely re-open the space for the last session
(after some time for them all to read the 'gallery' of session notes
posted on the wall) to ask them what actions and recommendations they
want to work on and carry forth.  Maybe with a little action planning
worksheet to document topic, who's interested, what is their contact
information and next time of meeting, who will invite whomever's needed
for that meeting...whatever.  No reason to 'prioritize' to see a pattern
if you will really see what has energy by inviting people to champion
what matters to them to carry forward.

Thoughts from a cloudy afternoon in Berkeley,

Lisa

L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
O p e n i n g  S p a c e