The World Cafe

Susan M Kerr Smkerr7 at aol.com
Wed May 4 04:52:02 PDT 2005

My copy of The World Cafe arrived yesterday, so I've only just started the
reading, but it looks very interesting. We used World Cafe last year in
Scotland  at the OT22 conference (Organizational Transformation - year 22) for the
first  morning, then went into Open Space for the remainder of the 3 days.

John Adams was one of the key facilitators of that - if he is on this
perhaps he can speak to the process or motivation for using it. I thought  it was a
good experience - yes more structured than a usual open space beginning  but I
liked hearing the ideas from the different groups and how they built on  each
other - and the physical medium of writing/drawing on the paper covering  the
tables. And for me, it helped get to know the people in the group.

Following that we went into open space with opening the circle as  usual.

I don't know if it will be used at OT23 this July in Milwaukee or not -
perhaps if Shelia Isakson is on here she can speak to that.

Not having lead OS yet (I'm a fringe dweller on this list) I have
participated in a few. Currently where I work the leaders are not quite open to  it. I
am exploring WC as a tool I might be able to introduce there and would  like to
hear more how others have used it and what benefits they have found with  it.

Susan Kerr
Milwaukee, WI, USA