No subject

Juanita Brown juanita at theworldcafe.com
Tue May 31 21:26:40 PDT 2005

Hi everyone...

I've been "listening" to the conversation intently as it has unfolded,
both the earlier conversation on the Open Space Listserv which several
European folks referred us to, as well as to the most recent sequence
following the wonderful Evolutionary Salon that Peggy and I (and
others) helped to host.  I'm hopeful, Harrison, that you have by now
received the gift copy of our recent book (also published by Berrett
Koehler!)  which helps to frame the living systems underpinnings of the
World Cafe and honors the incredible contribution that Open Space has
made over the last two decades. I offer these reflections in the spirit
of learning with and from others on this listserv about the unique
individual and combined contributions of the World Cafe and Open Space.

I think, as do many of our other colleagues who use a variety of
conversational and collaborative learning approaches, that the World
Cafe and Open Space are extremely compatible.  I completely understand
Harrison's concerns with "structure" and "control"--wanting to offer
participants the full freedom to self-organize from the get go.  At the
same time, even self-organization requires "initiatiing conditions" to
be successful, which, as I have seen with Open Space over the years,
are extremely carefully set and followed throughout an Open Space
gathering.  Peggy Holman beautifully exercised these during the
Evolutionary Salon, creating both the physical spaces, the
expectations, the sign-ups, the clarity of the "laws/principles," and
the discipline of the reporting  processes (both written in terms of
the report back sheets and oral in the reflection circles).

Each of these processes, as well as others which have been discussed on
the list, have their strengths and limitations, depending on their
purpose.  The World Cafe is especially useful when:

1) you have a limited amount of time (ie as little as 1 1/2 to 2 hours)
2) a lot of people (we've worked with 1200)
3) questions that matter to the people gathered, that they either they
frame themselves or that a representative sub-group has helped to shape
(at least initially)
4)  the intention to build community, strengthen relationships and
engage everyone's unique contribution and voice using both verbal and
visual modalities (even the timid or less verbal ones).
5) you want to access collective intelligence based on discovering
patterns of meaning in emergent, unexpected ways that come from the
intentional rapid cross-pollination of diverse perspectives and ideas.

While World Cafe and Open Space share many, although not all, of these
intentions in common, the design of the World Cafe creates what we'd
call a "conversational greenhouse" focused on the  extremely rapid
propagation of actionable knowledge (we consider inquiry as integral to
actionable knowledge ).  The World Cafe design intentionally fosters
people's rapid capacity to see patterns and  "sense the whole" rather
than be focused primarily on the part of the whole that their personal
passion initially leads them to.    Once people have this awareness,
they begin so see how their own passion (taking responsibility for what
you love) might connect to the larger whole in a very embodied way. We
find that the World Cafe intentionally creates an  "inquiring system"
through the disciplined use of questions (not topics or issues) as well
as creatively cross-pollinating ideas in varied ways that enable people
to feel, literally, the "whole system thinking together" in a very
short period of time.

We find that World Cafe helps to ease the "freedom shock" that Harrison
and others describe, while still giving the space for emergence and
surprise.  I have to admit that perhaps my "nurturing side" welcomes
the opportunity to support people in feeling comfortable in the early
phases of a gathering, which is why we create the Cafe ambiance when
that is possible and appropriate.   We find that the combination of
focus (carefully setting the context, the disciplined use of questions
and  the intentional patterns of cross-pollination) create a different
(not better, just different) type of collaborative learning that many
people seem to find useful as they enter this world of emergence--and
even more useful when combined with complimentary approaches like Open
Space and an appreciative stance.

Our goal in Cafe conversations is for people to experience themselves
being an integral part of a living web/network of relational thinking
and of experiencing conversation itself as a co-evolutionary force for
accessing co-intelligence on behalf of life affirming futures and the
conscious evolution of social systems.  So, perhaps the key learning
goals of World Cafe and Open Space are somewhat different....but still
complimentary in my humble opinion.

I'd love to learn about others experiences when they've designed
meetings or gatherings in which both Open Space and the World Cafe were
effectively engaged together to create generative outcomes.

I've responded to Alan's questions below in caps...and welcome our
exploring  these questions together among colleagues who are using both
approaches and want to learn with and from each other.

Fondly,
Juanita

On May 31, 2005, at 5:08 PM, Alan Stewart wrote:

> G'day Peggy and All
>
> It's wonderful indeed to have the comprehensive account of your
> observations and experience to complement Tom's enthralling report.
> Maybe Juanita would wish to add her's too ...
>
> Several queries for you Peggy:
>
> . At what stage were the OS principles and law introduced to the
> participants? Was this at the first evening circle or at the Open
> Space the following afternoon?   AT THE OPEN SPACE THE FOLLOWING
> AFTERNOON
>
> . Did you have any sense that issues/questions posted in Open Space
> were related to those which emerged in the opening Cafe session? I
> THINK THE WORLD CAFE SET A BROAD "FRAME" FOR THE INQUIRY IN A MUTUALLY
> COMPASSIONATE WAY WHICH HONORED ALL OF THE DISCIPLINES AND
> PERSPECTIVES BEING BROUGHT INTO THE ROOM--WHICH THEN ENABLED WHAT WE
> CALL THE "MAGIC" TO BEGIN RIGHT FROM THE START AND "HOLD" THROUGHOUT
> THE THREE DAYS.  SINCE WE DID IT THE WAY WE DID, I DON'T KNOW WHETHER
> THAT WOULD OR WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED AS EASILY IN A SOLEY OPEN SPACE
> FORMAT.
>
> . You mentioned that you got to participate in the Cafe. I wonder if
> Juanita did likewise in the Open Space?  (I CERTAINLY DID AND LOVED
> IT!)
>
> . I wonder too if what you interpreted as 'freedom shock' was related
> to the fact that participants did not know each other, whether or not
> they came from different backgrounds.  I ACTUALLY DIDN'T EXPERIENCE
> THE PARTICIPANTS AS HAVING THE INTENSITY OF FREEDOM SHOCK I'VE
> EXPERIENCED IN OTHER SETTINGS WHERE A NEW AND DIVERSE GROUP SIMPLY
> JUMPED INTO AN OPEN SPACE EXPEERIENCE-USUALLY THE MORE LOUD OR
> OUTGOING FOLKS ARE THE ONES WHO JUMP OUT FIRST IN OPEN SPACE--BUT WHEN
> WE'VE COMBINED WORLD CAFE WITH OPEN SPACE THERE SEEMS TO BE A MORE
> EVEN DISTRIBUTION IN THIS REGARD WHICH HAPPENS QUITE NATURALLY--AND
> MAY (I'M NOT SURE) TAKE A SOMEWHAT LONGER TIME (FOR THE LESS
> TALKATIVE/OUTGOING FOLKS WHO ARE RETICENT IN LARGE
> GROUPS--PARTICULARLY IN OTHER CULTURES)  IN OTHER OPEN SPACE SETTINGS
> WHERE THE COMBINATION IS NOT USED.

> I ask this because I have used the two processes in combination - in
> the same order - with people from very diverse backgrounds and who had
> encountered each other previously (they were members of a leadership
> program). They did not manifest this kind of distress, at least in my
> observation. Mind you some of them were quite taken aback initially by
> the very notion of turning to face each other rather than their
> accustomed experience of someone speaking to them!
>
> With love
>
> Alan
>  Hong Kong

Type the word Subscribe in the subject line of your message