The results we have come to expect

Douglas D. Germann, Sr. 76066.515 at compuserve.com
Wed May 18 10:22:32 PDT 2005

To our good friends--

Here is the whole collection (so far) of what we see in Open Space. You are
invited to share with us what you see, so we can grow this list.

How might we use these observations?

1. People of good will work and think toward the end of the spectrum
dealing with holistic viewpoints, big pictures and essential directions;
not just how we get somewhere, but where and why.

2. People die; persons are brought forth. Dialogue brings persons into
being.

3. Life acquires new possibilities.

4. Insights and actions arise that any one person alone could never
produce; there is a palpable presence, a third person.

5. Each person brings only partial truth; together we test those parts and
know and discover a larger truth.

6. People come together, whoosh.

7. Dialogue changes the meaning of our experiences.

8. We do not need to have strong dialogical skills when we approach each
other: dialogue produces those in us.

9. Conversation opens a little space in which to grow.

10. Dialogue brings about crisis---life and death choice-points.

11. When we hear ourselves speak out our minds to others, we often discover
something new in ourselves; we transcend our selves.

12. We witness each other's lives; we give them substance.

13. We give word and form to half-formed ideas.

14. We touch beauty and truth, and in them G-d.

15. We honor each other with our attention.

16. Real work gets done: effort is expended and things are moved, among
them minds and hearts.

17. We delve into hard-core commonsense bottom rock knowledge about how the
world works, but not just rock, the softness (and hardness) of a mother's
pondering heart which brings forth truths her lips cannot express.

18. Conversation brings life.

[by Gerard Muller:] 19. Possible futures become visible to all.

20. People engage with each other rather than talk at each other, rather
than use each other, rather than take a piece here and there. It is this
engaging that does the work.

21. Conversation produces thought. We think in a dimension not available to
us when thinking solo. It is as if we think now in three dimensions while
before in two only.

22. In conversation the other we truly meet opens up panoramas of the world
which we never knew. Conversation opens our horizons, gives us a larger
now.

23. Shields come down. We meet and are met as we truly are.

24. We are honoring the above, beyond and within of each person. We are
welcoming the voice of those so often unheard--and we are hearing.

25.  Conversation is how we change the world. This particular one we touch
daily. And the one we all live in.

                              :-Doug. Germann
                              Seeking people making community change.