Notice about OSA event

Michael Maranda mmaranda at afcn.org
Thu May 5 15:34:32 PDT 2005

Greetings to all,

I am the President of the Association for Community Networking.  I have come
to know several people in the Open Space community, notably Michael Herman,
Ted Ernst, and Max Gail of www.lap.org.

Our intent was to find a way to live up to our name, where community
networking was a process, as opposed to a location or an infrastructure for
the community.

To that end we gathered folks in several sectors of the community
information and communications technology sphere:  community media folk,
community tech folk, wireless folk, community informatics researchers,
community networkers and open/social source persons, as well as activists
concerned about changes in legislation affecting our field and our
communities in general.

I had a loose agenda, bringing people together after a full day workshop and
as we opened the space I tore that agenda up so that we could truly open the
space.  We convened for two days and it was a wondrous experience.  Please
read the write up by Jon Lebkowsky for a more general feel.  I'd be happy to
say more, but am currently on the road.  I'm also happy to answer questions.

Regards,

Michael Maranda