Access Queen says: about that auction...

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Wed May 4 14:34:43 PDT 2005

Chris wrote:
< Don't forget, I'm willing to auction off a CD for the fund this year.
Do it whenever you'd like.  There's a sound sample at
<http://www.chriscorrigan.com/musicbio.html>
http://www.chriscorrigan.com/music/musicbio.html
Cheers, sweets,>

.I love it when he calls me 'sweets'.

So at the 2003 OSonOS in "Swenmark" (our colleagues from Sweden and
Denmark co-hosted this OSonOS in Denmark) we started a "Silent Auction"
tradition to raise money for the Access Queen Fund and others raising
money to help cover their expenses to get to the OSonOS.

It works like this: if you are coming to OSonOS you bring (or send with
someone who is going) fabulous things from your country - things that
you've made or that come from your community.  For example, I will bring
a CD of Chris's wonderful music to Halifax (for the 2003 auction people
brought earrings, things to eat, handmade dolls and more).  During the
OSonOS these items are displayed and everyone marks on little cards what
they will offer to pay for them.  At the end of the OSonOS the highest
bidder for each item gets the item and the money goes to the Access
Queen Fund (or if you need it, to your own fund for helping you get to
that OSonOS).  It is called the "Silent Auction".

Another thing we do (which we started at the 2001 OSonOS in Vancouver)
is called the "Global Village Marketplace".  You bring or send fabulous
things (see above) and sell them during the OSonOS (no silence, no
highest bidder - just a table with peoples' fabulous things and the
prices they recommend and envelopes for putting in money as others buy
these fabulous things).  In the past we have had handmade cards,
decorated eggs, earrings, hand-knitted socks, poetry, videos, scarves
and more).  Money goes either to the Access Queen Fund or to your own
fund helping you get to that OSonOS.

Both of these things will be set up at this year's OSonOS
(unless someone wants to conduct a silent auction on the OSLIST somehow
to conclude before August - I am happy to set up at the actual OSonOS
but I do not have the time or energy to figure out and manage something
online)

SO: if you are planning to come this year, think of what you can make or
gather to bring with you to sell, if you like.
If you are not planning to come but wish to help in this way, send
fabulous things to someone who can sell them there for you.
OR: Conduct your own Silent Auction or Global Village Marketplace in
your own community to raise money for yourself or the Access Queen Fund.

All for a good cause (the Access Queen Fund and whomever else needs to
raise a little money once they get there.)

Take care, all,

Lisa (call me anything you like)
L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator