a tasty "taster" OST meeting

Juan Luis Walker B. jlwalker at MI.CL
Fri Mar 25 15:22:28 PST 2005

Thanks very much Joelle. Your feedback is so empathic and kindly that takes
me to one more step in all this issue.

I also don’t want “to talk the clients into agreeing to something they do
not really want to support”.

Right now I’m discovering that all this thing with my persistence, isn’t
more that the balance that I made between the originals sentences: What do
I want more “making money facilitating os-events" or "making a living
facilitating os-events"?

That is a dicotomic dimension that sometimes is dramatically present in
my “independent consultant” stuff.  My heart definitively wants "making a
living facilitating os-events". But

At this point it makes me too much sense the definition that Michael Herman
give us about Open Space in his wonderful “Inviting Organization”:

"About the same time I discovered Open Space Technology, I came to
understand that I was most productive, most effective and most happy on
those projects where clients had called to invite me into their work,
rather than because I had called them and sold a project. Seeing this, I
resolved to make invitation the central focus of my personal and
professional practice...
...Invitations raise the awareness, speak the truth, gather the resources
needed to get real results. invitations communicate intention, even to
those who won't or can't be present. invitations offer new language for
describing the truth of what's happening. Invitations get people moving in
the same direction, at the same time -- because those people WANT to move
that way. In this way, invitations turn managers into leaders, and invitees
into managers. If we see Open Space Tech as one way to practice the
leadership art of invitation, is it any wonder that this technique has
produced phenomenal results all over the world? When all else fails, it
seems clear that everyone still works better and happier when they are
invited into their work" (Opening Invitation in Organization by Michael
Herman at http://www.globalchicago.net/ost/invitingorg/05intro.html ).

For me this is an enlightenment experiential synthesis that is rounding my
head and heart since a couple of weeks ago when first I read it. Thanks so
much Michael for turning on this potent light on my road.

But it isn’t easy for me, and all at this moment is in process and
movement. Seems like a battle between my ego and my heart. I don’t know
exactly how to invite more and sell less. All this stuff makes me feel
afraid of the changes that I intuitive perceive will carried for my life
and my being. But at the same time, I’m enjoying so much this adventure
plenty of creativity and liberty wind.

Thanks you all on this list,

JL Walker
Santiago de Chile