Metaphor for Naming Elephants in UK

Christine Koehler christine.koehler at wanadoo.fr
Fri Mar 25 00:17:22 PST 2005

Hi Artur and Agnetta,

We use exactly the same expression  in French !
"un cadavre dans la placard" -  "a corpse in the wardrobe"

I had been looking for the translation for months, but couldn't find it
because I was  looking for animals. So, Thank you.

By the way, I would be interested in knowing how you adapt in other
cultures this story that I heard from Joel Getzendanner in the US : in
order to be able to play the saxophone, you have to drop your rubber
ducky. It 's referring to a famous Sesame Street episode, if I remember
correctly. The idea is that if you want to learn something new,
sometimes you have to stop keeping closely  what you know and cherish
for years. And it has been so useful to have a rubber ducky around in
our meetings that I would like find a similar metaphor, suitable for
France. Any ideas ?

Christine Koehler