OS for corporate volunteerism

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Thu Mar 24 15:24:51 PST 2005

Thank you Chris C, Joelle, Gil, Doug G, Shay and others --

Your examples and stories and referrals to folks regarding how you've
seen OS used to generate ideas for increasing corporate volunteerism and
community engagement are really wonderful.

Thank you so much for sharing these.  I know it will be a big help in
illustrating to this potential client how OS might be a fit for her
needs.

And Gil - a loud 'hurrah' for a group that seeks to serve by asking the
communities they serve to engage with them in defining that service.
I've certainly experienced it locally and in international settings
where those who wish to help - even in their good intentions - walk in
with big helper footprints metaphorically stomping all over the place
and don't stop to ask - or to partner - with communities.  One of the
comments I heard in closing circle of an Open Space I did, where the
person was from the community being served: "this is the first time I
felt that you were working *with* me...not *for* me."

And I was just telling someone how in our global OS community we share
each others' stories as the collective experience - that we each have
each others' stories to tell to help others understand the uses,
settings and situations where OS has delivered creative and
collaborative thinking.  Truly a rich resource and an example of our
wonderful community...

Lisa
L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator