Red Lake Nation

Jack Ricchiuto jack at designinglife.com
Wed Mar 23 05:33:44 PST 2005

What's the source of healing in our community?

Jack

~~~~~~~~~~
jack ricchiuto
two.one.six/three.seven.three/seven.four.seven.five
www.designinglife.com / www.appreciativeleadership.org

From: Pat Black <patblack at paulbunyan.net>
To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
Date: Wed, Mar-23-2005 7:01 AM
Subject: Red Lake Nation
I live in the larger community where the young man shot all the students. I
feel a deep loss at this.  We are a small communitiy and everyone is
affected by this and most people no someone who has lost someone. There are
many issues coming up related to the loss and how many of our youth feel so
isolated and how to we reach them before they snap.  But there are other
issues surfacing because of the racial polarization in this community and
historic racism.  Red Lake tribal leaders are controlling media access to
the reservation.  They don't want them harrassing and exploiting people for
their stories.  Red Lake is one of 2 closed reservations in the US.  Closed
means that their original land base is intact.  The media interprets that as
they can control who can come on the reservation.  They of course can
control who comes in and out if they want but that has nothing to do with
being a closed reservation.  This business whether intended as overt racism
or not certainly stirs the historic wounds caused by racism and the
entrenched racist beliefs that live in the community everyday.  I believe
some good can grow from tragedy and maybe we can get at these issues.  My
question to those who live in areas where there are similar historic wounds
waiting to surface for healing is simply please share your experiences,
especially about the forming of the question and bringing community to the
circle.  I feel this will be an opportunity for this community to address
bigger and older wounds.  I personally feel the need to address the media
assault and show solitarity with Red Lake Nation for the control they are
exercising here and offer support and build healing between the community
and the reservation.  Any thoughts out there?
Pat Black