Large OS-meeting 600 persons

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Tue Mar 22 13:57:53 PST 2005

Thomas

--I often do something similar to what Carla does -- find some symbolic
object to use as a talking piece (I don't call it a talking stick as I
believe that has a particular meaning with aboriginal communities.)

--However, with 600 in a half-day with 1/2 for a closing I sometimes use
the microphone in the following way. I would tell people about the
talking piece -- the mike.  I would carry the mike around the room once,
making eye contact down the rows and letting those who want to say
something do so.  I would not say a word, other than encouraging people
to say something if they want to.  You have to be present but invisible
in doing this.  It does reduce the number of speakers, just as putting
the mike on the floor or on stools somewhere in the circle.  It depends
if you have a hard stop for time.  It often elicits the key comments.  I
also kneel or sit down when the person is speaking so that I am less
visible.

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation