Success

Therese Fitzpatrick therese.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 19:05:31 PST 2005

I am not sure if what I am about to write fits in this conversation
(thanks, by the way, for the many great conversations on the oslist
recently), but as I read Chris' comment "we need to be able to embody
change in order to be able to welcome it" and Chris' observation,
which we could all echo, that when people do an org. development
'intervention', they expect something significant to happen. . . .

I think the reason to have open space events in organizations is to
build the capacity of that organization to be able to welcome change
as it emerges.  I don't imagine it would be easy to 'sell' this to
someone who wants to have a three day open space to create a strategic
plan or design a product development process but, for me, the real
value of having employees or members of an organization spend a day,
two or three in open space is to have them spend time practicing
following what has heart and meaning, to practice the law of two feet,
to practice trusting that the right people show up and the right thing
will happen.

And, I THINK (ask me in an hour and I might think differently) the
reason I am attracted to attending open space events and to being an
open space practitioner and, even, to collaborating as much as I can
with people who have experienced a lot of open space technology, is
because I deeply desire to be able to welcome what wants to show up
and I deeply value working with others who have begun to integrate the
principles of open space into their way of being.

I actually think, sometimes, that just creating a container for people
to spend three days together in open space doing whatever, without an
intention focussed on work, is the best org. development training any
org. could give itself.  And I believe it enhances the achievement of
measurable goals.

--
Warmly,
Therese Fitzpatrick