NO Such Thing as non-self-organizing system

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Thu Mar 17 13:02:00 PST 2005

Shay Wrote: Let's take this whole idea of survival of the fittest. My
problem is I don't believe it.

Neither do I. More to the point I think it is a misunderstanding and
probably a misrepresentation of Darwin. More accurate, in my view, is "a
search for fitness." The notion is that internal to all entities, quarks to
humans, is an effort to fit better with themselves and with their
environment. And that is always an adaptive process -- which is why the
folks at the Santa Fe Institute refer to self-organizing systems as Complex
ADAPTIVE Systems. The process is also largely collaborative, more symbiosis
than open warfare. The reason is simple. It is more energy efficient and
less risky. Of course clashes can occur, and sometimes they are lethal, but
lethal conflict can often be avoided if there is enough room. Which is why
we have Open Space. It is also why I believe the primary gift of Open Space
is Peace. It is also probably true that those who fit better survive better,
but fitness is the first order. So what's the problem?

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20845
Phone 301-365-2093

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: