OS and themes

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Thu Mar 17 07:48:10 PST 2005

If there is a "rule" it is that the facilitator should stick to facilitation
and leave everything else to the participants. I think there is some wisdom
to this "rule" -- but it is also a rule that has been often broken -- as all
good rules should be. I myself have been a constant offender, but only in
situations where it is totally clear to me that the group really can (and
does) manage its own affairs, and in effect becomes its own facilitator. If
I found myself with a brand new (to me) group, about which I knew next to
nothing except that they had some serious, conflicted talking to do -- then
for sure I would do nothing but Hold the Space. But you do know this group,
there has been some history -- so knowing only that I would say, Go for it.
Post the issue(s). Alternatively, perhaps somebody else on the Organizing
committee who is not facilitating could do the posting. Nothing to prevent
you from joining. Just trust the people. It will work.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20845
Phone 301-365-2093

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: