Principals, process, people

Glory Ressler on.the.edge at sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 15 14:39:32 PST 2005

Principals, process, peopleDear all:
I was just watching a movie called, What the 'Bleep' Do We Know? (new rental release in US and Canada) and I saw something too synchronistic to this thread to remain silent on...

The film explores the nature of reality, and our role in co-creating it, from a quantum physics perspective and recounted the following story which I think is relevant to OST and its facilitation.

Legend has it that, initially, the indigenous peoples of the Carribean islands could not 'see' the approaching Clipper Ships of the explorer Christopher Columbus on their horizon. Yes - they literally could not see them and there may be a quantum physical reason as to why.

We take in far more information (sensorily) than we actually process. We assume that what we take in is THE reality and our perceptual patterns therefore become fixed. But there is virtually unlimited realities - beyond the solid matter we accept as as the end of the story - and it is actually more real than the reality we accept.

In fact, our experience of reality is mostly based on our memory; past patterns that frame what we expect to see and which influence where and how we choose to focus our energy / select which sensory input we recognize and process. When we look, the energy becomes manifest in matter (we co-create - hello, Appreciative Inquiry!). But we don't look for what we don't expect. Even if we do happen to 'see' something beyond the norm, we don't often accept it. It helps that we're socially marginalized for seeing something new (old) :-)

So, because the american aboriginal peoples didn't expect to see a thing we know as a Clipper Ship, they literally didn't see it (didn't take in the info or focus/pay attention). However, we also know that they eventually did, in fact, see the ships. How did this happen?

Well, the story goes that their shamans (being open to more possibile realities than the average person and utilizing practices that encourage this capacity) began to notice odd ripples in the waves of the sea. Each day they would go and watch... Eventually, they saw the Clipper Ships coming and began to tell their fellow villagers of their existence. If the people trusted their Shaman, then they too began to see the ships.

Makes me think of OST facilitators :-)

Best wishes,
Glory