A short introduction

Tom Tuddenham ferrisoxide at internode.on.net
Tue Mar 15 01:54:38 PST 2005

Hi Lucas

If I understand what you mean "bring the system in one room" to be
bringing the stakeholders together in the place where the work is to be
done, then yes. There are other interesting approaches that have
bearing on this - notably the so-called agile, or lightweight,
development methodologies. Agile development is predicated on short
bursts of activity, with various checks and balances to ensure work is
on task or able to respond to changes in project's business context -
not the least of which is garnering feedback from stakeholders.

I can see agile development, open space and open source as significant
mechanisms for the production of high quality, high value software
systems in a short period of time. Regarding bringing it all in one
room, I'm imagining a company set up as a ongoing "creative space"
where work and decision making is framed within a series of open space
meetings, each focussing on a particular broad set of issues. I could
be misunderstanding the use of open space here - I'll readily admit I'm
a bit of a dreamer.. :)

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers
Tom