Quick Question

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Wed Mar 9 05:14:20 PST 2005

Eric wrote: Sounds great Harrison! But does this mean that, lets say
Coca-Cola, could establish a brand "Open Space" and prohibit for example the
run of the site "openspaceworld" because it is an forbidden abuse of the
brand?

Sure - and wouldn't it be wonderful if we then had a global ad campaign,
"Things go Better with Open Space!"

There were several reasons why I never even thought about registering "Open
Space (Technology)" either as a patent or a trademark. First - even though
it is true that I "created" it - it is equally true that literally thousands
of people played a real role in the development as either participants or
facilitators. So who should hold the patent/trademark? Secondly - as the
fundamental mechanisms (self-organization) and power of Open Space became
clearer to me, it was even clearer that everything was completely natural.
And to seek a patent or trademark would be not unlike doing the same for
breathing. Finally, I guess I was just not interested, and fundamentally
just too lazy. I cannot imagine anything worse than spending my life with a
bunch of lawyers defending infringements on "my" patents or trademarks. As
things have turned out I would do (not do) exactly the same all over again.
I suppose there could be some down-sides to all this - but the up-sides have
been overwhelming. Twenty years of doing what I love with thousands for
friends and colleagues all over the world. Life doesn't get much better than
that.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20845

Phone 301-365-2093

Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com <http://www.openspaceworld.com/>

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit:

Sounds great Harrison! But does this mean that, lets say Coca-Cola, could
establish a brand "Open Space" and prohibit for example the run of the site
"openspaceworld" because it is an forbidden abuse of the brand?

Just to think it through.

Erich