Access Queen Invites You to Dream and Share as we go to OSonOS Halifax. [long]

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Sun Mar 27 17:10:38 PST 2005

Access Queen Invites You to Dream and Share as we go to OSonOS Halifax.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

In this message:  Ways to help yourself gather the funds you need to get
to this year's annual global Open Space on Open Space gathering -- Ways
to help others who wish to get there by sharing any extra resources you
may have

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Access Queen was dreamed up at the 9th OSonOS in Vancouver (2001) as a
way to share news of who has and who needs resources to get to our
annual global gatherings so that people of lower financial abilities and
from faraway countries may attend.  I volunteered to take this role
which Laurel Doersam later named Access Queen.  Our sharing of dreams
and resources has brought Access Queen "Askers" to our gatherings in
Melbourne, "Swenmark" and Goa for these gatherings and participants
attending thosegatherings also raise some additional money for the
following year's Access Queen Fund.  For more information about the
story of Access Queen, visit:
http://www.openspaceworld.org/wiki/wiki/wiki.cgi?OpenSpaceInstituteUSA/A
ccessQueenKing

- - - - - - - - - - - -

DREAM
of joining us at the 13th Annual Open Space on Open Space in Halifax,
Nova Scotia, Canada -- August 3-6, 2005 -- for Open Space facilitators
and enthusiasts from around the world to join together in-person for
sharing opportunities and issues reflecting our methods, approaches,
experiences and passions.

ACT
on making that dream come true.

REGISTER
for the gathering at  <http://www.openspaceworld.org/osonos>
http://www.openspacehalifax.ca/

READ
the pricing information on that web page for registration and
accommodation, and see what you need to put together as a rough picture
of what it will cost you.
REMEMBER
to add up the amount of money you will need for air ticket,
accommodation and registration, pocket money, ground transport (such as
bus, shuttle or taxi from airport).  Check example flights - you may
have to stay overnight somewhere to make a flight connection, and/or you
may need to arrive a day ahead of OSonOS just to accommodate to a time
zone different from your own (Plan to arrive August 3 or before for
registration and an informal social gathering).  Add a little bit more
money for breakfasts, dinners and unforeseen expenses (OSonOS days
include lunch and snacks).  *

Note for those of you with lower financial means these two sites are
very near to our gathering site and are of lower costs:
Halifax Heritage House Hostel $25 Canadian for a bed in a dorm (4 to 8
people share each room)
YWCA (for women only) $40 Canadian for one person, $60 for two
-- both of these can be seen and reserved via the website above

*  You may wish to use a Currency Converter at  <http://www.xe.com/ucc/>
http://www.xe.com/ucc/   As I write this, $1 Canadian = 0.82 US dollars
= 0.64 Euros.   One place I use to shop for air tickets is
<http://cheaptickets.com/> http://cheaptickets.com

- - - - - - - - - - - -
* * * Don't have the financial ability to join us but would like to? * *
*
- - - - - - - - - - - -

BECOME
an Access Queen "Asker".

BELIEVE in yourself as I believe in you.  Have the courage to ask for
support - to jump into the unknown and find that your community will
catch you.  Put together a picture of what you will need to actualize
your dream.  See the next paragraph about how to write a proposal of
your needs and your situation and ASK your potential funders,
*including* our colleagues on the OSLIST who may have resources to
share.  I will help with feedback as you construct your written
proposals and I will also post messages on the OSLIST with and for you
to help you ask, either by name or anonymously.  Email me at
lisaheft at openingspace.net

Each 'asker' is encouraged to *generate funding from multiple sources*
rather than asking one source to cover all your expenses.  Think of
funding in clusters, in a way: travel money/assistance,
accommodation/registration assistance, homestay assistance, pocket money
- and perhaps ask each different source to contribute the funds for a
different part.  It helps to write up a proposal which you can give to
the organizations and individuals you from which you are requesting
funding assistance.  You can find an example of such a request at:
<http://www.openspaceworld.org/wiki/wiki/wiki.cgi?AccessQueenKing>
http://www.openspaceworld.org/wiki/wiki/wiki.cgi?OpenSpaceInstituteUSA/A
ccessQueenKing - and remember to see the actual costs of registration,
accommodation and ground transport on the
<http://www.openspaceworld.org/osonos>  http://www.openspacehalifax.ca/
site.

SEND
your Request for Funding to every organization or community coalition or
group of friends you can think of to raise the funds.

I do not have a large source of money for you - you must try to seek
funding from other sources, but I can help you think that through.  Each
year I have a bit of 'seed money' for the new year's Access Queen Fund,
and I will be reserving that for distribution of small amounts among as
many Askers as possible to help them make that last little bit if they
need it.

You may wish to also ask for some assistance with travel moneys from the
Open Space Institute of the USA -- you can use an adapted version of the
proposal I mention above to include how your request fits within the
guidelines of OSI(US) funding activities:  to support underserved areas;
to provide support that is leveraged to reach multiple people; to match
recipients' actions and resources with OSI-US actions and funds; to have
a commitment from the recipient to share the story of their OST
experience.  So your proposal to them must include how you will fulfill
these things.  For proposals sent to OSI(US) (at usa at openspaceworld.org
) please be sure to send in your request for support by *before* May 15;
it is first-come-first-serve so the sooner you get this in the greater
chance you have -- the OSI(US) will return decisions by the latest June
1.

Another funding site that may offer travel funds for women,
specifically, who are self-initiating projects in womens' rights and
inclusion is Mama Cash:
http://www.mamacash.nl/english/  - this funding cycle may take months so
contact them NOW.

When you do join us in Halifax, BRING
your art work / writing / folk art from your country/culture to sell at
the OSonOS Global Village Marketplace to help raise additional money for
your expenses or to put into next year's Access Queen fund.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
* * * Do you feel like you CAN afford it and are thinking of coming? Or
even thinking of *not* coming? * * *
SHARE your resources with an Access Queen Asker.
- - - - - - - - - - - -

RENEW or BEGIN
your membership in your local Open Space Institute and/or with Open
Space Institute (US) [whose members include colleagues from Switzerland,
Haiti, Canada, Germany, Denmark, Scotland, Japan, Australia, Estonia,
France, Mexico, England, Republic of China (Taiwan), and the US].
OSI(US) can offer some grants for travel moneys. Other OSIs such as the
Institutes of Canada, Australia and Taiwan have generously donated to
the Access Queen fund in the past as well to help with final expenses.
With your membership, all of our Institutes will then have more funds to
share with Askers who send in proposals.  Including you, as well?
http://www.openspaceworld.org/wiki/wiki/wiki.cgi?OpenSpaceInstitutes

SHARE
your Frequent Flyer miles with an Asker - contact me to find out who has
asked.

When you register for OSonOS, PAY FOR 2
* 2 * accommodations and / or * 2 * registrations and let me know that
you have done so - we'll give it to an Asker and you can either remain
anonymous or be introduced to your Asker.

BRING
an envelope which has in it POCKET MONEY for an Asker.  Let me know you
will be bringing this (this will help us know how much more our Askers
need to raise) and I can make sure it gets to an Asker.

SEND or BRING
your art work / writing / folk art from your country to sell at OSonOS
Global Village Marketplace or the Silent Auction (the tables we will be
setting up for showing and selling your items from around the world) to
help raise money for next year's Access Queen fund.

DONATE
any amount of money to the Access Queen fund by mailing me a check in US
dollars or in a currency you think I might be able to exchange which I
shall put into a special account.  If you would rather pay via credit
card, you can do so at the Open Space Institute US's site (10% of your
payment will cover credit card processing fees):
http://www.openspaceworld.org/donate  (and be sure where it says
'Payment is for' to write in: "Access Queen Fund").

- - - - - - - - - - - -
Let us see what happens when we each put a potato, a carrot or a bit of
onion into the rich and nutritious broth we can co-create to bring the
flavors of diversity and access to this year's OSonOS.

Lisa Heft
(also known as Access Queen)
lisaheft at openingspace.net

L i s a   H e f t