What I've learned.

David Swedlow david at metastorming.com
Sun Mar 20 06:51:09 PST 2005

Dear Harrison,

Thank you for the invitation to share what we've learned.

I can start very simply. In the past 20 years, I have learned that Open
Space Technology existed.

Actually, it's only been about 8 months since I first heard the term (later,
when trying to look it up, I kept remembering it as Open System Technology,
so it was hard to google). I have never participated in Open Space
Technology, but I felt in my bones, as soon as I heard the first paragraph
description of it, that it was important, that I would eventually
participate, and that it would play a major role in shaping the future. I
didn't know how I knew this, but like much of the stuff that comes to me in
a flash, I swallowed that pill and let it start doing it's work. Since that
time, I've read The Wisdom of Crowds, but Surowiecki, and I've also learned
about The World Cafe. I guided a World Cafe session with the question, "What
is the gift of discord." The session lasted for about two hours, and I was
satisfied that people had scratched the surface by the time they left. The
biggest realization is that 2 hours isn't nearly enough time to get in to
the depth that I was looking for, and which I think is required to get to
truly transformational work (at least for first timers off of the street).

I have learned that the 20 year anniversary is in Halifax in August, and
that I am going to attend that (we are now moving into the territory of
"what I have learned by looking inward - and so is often metaphorical - much
of this may or may not have correlation in the world outside my head, and
that's just fine by me). I have learned that what works about Open Space
Technology is letting it happen. This can be initially hard for people. The
prevailing paradigm is that the universe is like a machine, and so you have
to really work hard and engineering a solution. You can't just put a bunch
of metal, rubber, and plastic in a box, shake it up 'poof' there's a
bicycle, right? Ah, but that is true only when the parts in the box aren't
alive, each doing their own thing. When you put all of those living parts
into a box and shake them up, 'poof', you do get a bicycle. And not just any
bicycle, but the best bicycle that you never could have ever dreamed that
you ever wanted in your whole life. The one that was a twinkle in your eye
before you learned the word "impossible." Sometimes, it is hard for people
to trust that this will happen, especially when they are very concerned
about their job security or their status or position in the community. With
all that pent up stuff inside, it seems very difficult to "let it happen,"
because it feels like it almost certainly will go horribly wrong. But, it is
precisely because all of these living parts are so highly charged (the more
charge the better) that they form into a new beautiful thing on their own.

Let it happen. It's working for me even now, and I've not even participated
in Open Space yet. There are still many shiny gems to pop of the box that
I'm putting myself into, but right now, even though the shaking hasn't
started for me, I can start to see the sparkle in all the people around me.
The saying, every problem is an opportunity used to sound like a cliche to
me, like some sort of mind trick. I think it still does for so many people.
But finally, and usually, I now see that every problem is more than an
opportunity, it is the precious piece of the puzzle, the shining spark to
bring the whole thing to life in a whole new way. And looking around the
world these days, the treasure is rich indeed. The charge is oh so
blissfully high that I can feel critical mass approaching. Is the hair
starting to stand up on the back of your neck? Can you feel the electricity
in the air? I can, and it is glorious. Thank you for sharing with us all
that there is.

- David

PS: I'm in Austin Texas and looking to connect with others in the area. I am
also looking to put together a venture that uses OST regularly (without
employees, but rather with free agents). The product/service that I foresee
is exactly compatible with OST and similar technologies (the idea is to
create a service, and eventually an internet product to act as a catalyst to
bring people together around topics of concern. The result is intentional
resonance. This obviously is what OST already does. I'm just trying to make
it so easy to get involved that I would have done it 10 years ago if I had
known about it). I am completely aware that I am only a catalyst, if even
that much, and all there is for me to do is Let It Happen, and to
continually get out of the way. I can feel the slightest hesitation, like an
attachment to a result because I feel that it is so important, and I
immediately recognize that my poor ego is trying to hold on. Let It Happen,
I tell my ego. It is yours as soon as you let it go. There isn't anyone to
take this from you. Give completely and you shall receive abundantly.

Thanks again!