OSLIST Digest - 12 Mar 2005 to 13 Mar 2005 (#2005-71)

Pat Black patblack at paulbunyan.net
Mon Mar 14 07:08:20 PST 2005

I don't have any experience working in a corporate environment but have more
than thirty years of experience doing community organizing and grass roots
political organizing.  I am not sure my experience can be transfered to a
corporate setting but here goes.  I have found when people come together as
a group for whatever passion, they carry with them baggage from past
encounters, past experiences.  I find that the baggage profoundly affects
their ability to trust themselves and therefore, others in the group.  For
me the brilliance of Open Space is that it provides a very simply structure
for people to use so they can just operate in trust with themselves.  The
structure directs them to look inward, measure their own response to the
experience and act accordingly.  Simple guidelines allow individuals to know
what is right for them.  If it is right for the individual it is right for
the group.  People trust themselves and can then operate in trust.
Pat Black