the world tribunal on iraq

Masud Sheikh masheikh at COGECO.CA
Wed Jun 29 05:02:31 PDT 2005

Dear Paul,
I do not know the genesis of this tribunal, but I expect that you do know
that an International Criminal Court (ICC) is already in existence. The
only major country opposing it is U.S.A. If this tribunal makes any impact
on changing U.S. policy towards ICC, it would have been a worthwhile
exercise

I am afraid that it is incorrect to say that "the West" gets pilloried.
The U.S. does get pilloried - apparently to no effect. Most of the other
countries that get pilloried (whose examples you gave) are not in the
West.

One great - and everlasting - truth is that "power corrupts". This happens
so obviously in dictatorships. It also happens between nations. When one
nation has excessive power, it can exercise it unilaterally, which is now
official U.S. policy.

The mantra of the all powerful free market seems to be the driving force
behind U.S. policy-making these days. Markets that are totally "free" and
unfettered, in the short run (of decades, rather than centuries) breed
imbalance of power. This increases disparities between the "rich &
powerful" on one side and the "poor and powerless" on the other.

This "unfettered market" philosophy operates in the U.S. these days - as
much within the country as between U.S. and the rest of the world. Of
course, over the long-term (after we all dead) such imbalances get
corrected. I believe that there is no greater issue in the world today
than making the U.S. realize the limits of its (temporal) power. Many more
Micheal Moores are needed than are currently around.

Can you believe that in a poll of the "greatest American" Ronald Reagan
came first, ahead of Abraham Lincoln? George W. was at no. 6, while FDR
was at no. 10. Much work lies ahead, Paul - first of all for American
citizens.

Take care, all of you
Masud

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:46:29 EDT, EVERETT813 at aol.com wrote:

>Funda, et. al.,
>
>And when, pray tell, might we see a similar "world tribunal" on Darfur,
>Saudi Arabia, Iran, Cambodia, Rwanda, North Ireland, Georgia, Chechnya,
>Haiti, Tibet, Indonesia, Zimbabwe, Myanmar (Burma) etc., etc. All places
>where people are sorely oppressed every day. Many where deaths are
>occurring in far greater numbers than Iraq. Where the Iraqi terrorists
>are slaughtering their own people. Where people are murdered with
>impunity (just happened again in N. Ireland). Many where people are
>starving to death by the tens of thousands, and that is no exaggeration.
>Where rape is routinely used to defile women. When do we see World
Tribunals on these outrages against humanity??

Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 08:14:23 -0400
To: OSLIST <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU>
From: Turning Lead Into Gold <Alchemists at leadintogold.com>
Subject: Re: conducting OST meeting for an organization that is just
 forming

I've just concluded just such an activity... The venture is only six
months old and has already been transformed from a visionary start up of
an inventor and a few colleagues into a start up involving Venture
Capitalists, Venture Partners (can you say 'exit strategy'), Regulators,
IP Attorneys and Consultants on two continents and in three countries...

The event was low key - and set the stage for the team's ongoing culture
- as Harrison noted - it's all open...

It still works
Jeffrey Edwards
Alchemists Intl