conducting OST meeting for an organization that is just forming

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Wed Jun 29 05:00:33 PDT 2005

Raffi -- Using Open Space at the beginning of a new venture, particularly a business venture may seem to be the height of foolishness. After all you are supposed to keep everything a dark secret and under control until you roll out the great new Mouse Trap. However, from where I sit Opening Space on the opening day is nothing more than a blinding flash of the obvious. After all it is all open space anyhow, so why not do it intentionally and effectively. Open Space!

But there is a risk, and you have put your finger right on the painful spot. As the initiator you have a dream -- call it a vision. It has some degree of power and purity for you or you wouldn't bother. But as long as that dream/vision is yours alone it will never be the foundation of a new viable venture. And here is the rub . As soon as that dream is shared it will change. For the better or worse you don't know in advance -- but for sure it will change. And you may even  discover that it was a silly dream which can be extremely painful and hard on the old ego. But better to cut your losses and run before the expenditure of major resources.

I have always thought that a critical aspect of Leadership was what I called Collective Story Telling. The point is we all have our stories, but as long as they are exclusively MY story -- the story will go nowhere. Only when the story becomes OUR story will the potential power be made manifest. No guarantees, of course -- but one thing is certain -- without the public telling, you will never know. If you care about this line of thinking you might look at my book, "The Spirit of Leadership" (Barrett-Koehler) -- in the section (guess what?) called "Collective Story Telling.

Anyhow -- to get to the point. I have always thought of Open Space as an occasion for story telling, and best of all, Collective Story Telling. So Go for it my friend.  You will certainly have a lot of fun, learn a great deal -- and who knows -- you might even create a business.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD  20854