On being and becoming

Andrew Rixon Andrew.Rixon at csiro.au
Thu Jun 9 16:11:04 PDT 2005

Dear all,

Something which seems to be a common pattern within facilitation is
'doing' versus 'being'. In particular in open space, it seems, from the
point of the OS facilititator, it is in the 'being' from which all the
skill seems to spring...

A question which I have been thinking about is how to communicate (maybe
even document) the wealth of experience which is starting to be
collected and embodied in OS practictioners (like yourselves) around the
world. Thinking about what has been done in the past, communicating
religion and religious experience seems to come to mind. In particular,
the ways parables and stories are used to enable the reader to gain a
sense of the persons experience. Zen koans also seem an interesting
communication technique for breaking through to what is going on.

What are your thoughts?

Kind regards,

Andrew

--

Andrew Rixon B.Sc(hons) PhD

Urban Water Infrastructure

CSIRO- Manufacturing and Infrastructure Technology

http://www.cmit.csiro.au

P.O Box 56 (Graham Road), Highett, 3190, Victoria, Australia

Tel: +61 3 9252 6363

Fax:+ 61 3 9252 6249

Mobile: 0400 352 809

Email: Andrew.Rixon at csiro.au