After dinner conversations

Masud Sheikh masheikh at cogeco.ca
Thu Jun 9 15:37:15 PDT 2005

Dear all,

There is something I wish to share with you:

A couple of weeks ago, I invited some friends for dinner. At the end of the
dinner, I suggested a topic for conversation, and to channel the
conversation, used a modified process to what I had seen used for Scott
Peck's "Community Building Workshop". I read the story of the Rabbi's Gift
(which basically conveys the message that answers have to come from within
the group, and for that to happen, there needs to be respect for all) asked
for a few minutes of silence, and got a talking stick that people picked up
when they wished to speak. The topic I chose was "Integrating visible
minorities in society" (Like me, many invitees fell in this category).
People appreciated the process used. Of course, we barely got into the
nitty-gritty of the matter.

Have any of you done, or considered doing something similar, using Open
Space?

My interest is getting conversations going on issues that are important
these days. And perhaps have follow-on sessions for a societal topic like
the one mentioned above.

Take care, all of you

Masud

There is something called learning at a rather small level of organisation.
At a much higher gestalt level, learning is called evolution - Gregory
Bateson