from Ukraine - ideas for what to call 'training'

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Mon Jun 6 11:05:56 PDT 2005

Hi, Jo -

.and thanks for your thinking, Paul, Raffi and others.

Jo, you asked:
<we feel we have to find a new word for what is called training - any
ideas?>

I call those workshops where people come to learn and share knowledge
about the method of Open Space:
Open Space Learning Workshops

.because we are all constantly learning from one another - it is not a
training from one 'expert' to others who are 'less expert' - it is a
sharing of learning of peoples' personal experience with Open Space and
other methods, sharing of stories from other Open Space facilitators,
sharing of things that many have found to work and not work, sharing of
materials and resources, sharing of community and sharing of individual
participants' insights, skills, feedback, questions and support - all of
it for the objective of mutual learning.

Anyway, that's the 'name' that I use.

And when anyone needs me to call it something different so that their
funders will let them come, I rewrite a special invitation to them and
call it a 'workshop', 'training', 'seminar' or whatever they need me to
call it, as often these 'buzz-words' are required to match with their
organization's funding requirements.

By the way, I shall be giving another one of these 'Open Space Learning
Workshops' in December in San Francisco.  I look forward to hearing from
any of you who wish to join me there in the learning journey.

Lisa

L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
O p e n i n g  S p a c e