OST for public awareness

Jaime Pedreros jpedrerosf at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 08:07:19 PDT 2005

Hello List!

Yesterday I participated in a forum that assessed the present
situation and new challenges faced by the way environmental issues are
presently managed in Bolivia (one of the 25 most nature-gifted
countries in the world). One of the conclusions was that general
public do not participate nor are conscious about these issues. I
suggested that one of the possible ways of raising awareness is to get
mass-media involved (press caimpaigns, tv shows, even soap-opera as
Brazil does, campaingns/contests involving school teachers, students
and parents etc.).

One of the possible stakeholders for an OS gathering suggested "a
training seminar" for journalists or a press conference. All of us
(here in Bolivia as well as in the List) already know that this would
not work. So we are to try OS. At this time I am wondering about the
best way of promoting and organizing this meeting. Because journalists
are busy people, the gathering should be arranged for a half-day
meeting. What about presentations or "story telling" and printed
hand-outs? Do you think they would help?

Thanks and warm regards from La Paz (a city that is not in peace for
the time being).

Jaime