Being in open space every day

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at bk.ru
Fri Jun 3 21:35:21 PDT 2005

Hi all!

Doug, your "open space as an oxymoron?" thread nudged me to start the
conversation on a topic I have been thinking about recently: a
potential accessqueen strategy/product. I am writing the list to see
if there are any collaborators for this idea. This collaboration (to
think it thru) could happen onlist or off, whatever seemed best.

By way of introduction:
The whole Poem in Your Pocket Day practice got me thinking about us
together developing a ...Day for each day of the year, a list of 365
different practices that we could do to be in as conscious open space
as possible. This list could be as profane, banal, mundane, profound,
fanciful, (or not) as possible.

I also thought that then this list could then somehow be turned into a
"product," real or virtual, the proceeds of which could be used for
the accessqueen fund, perhaps made available into different languages.
Maybe, for example, this could be a desk calendar, wall calendar, with
different pictures of different OS. And maybe the different practices
of OS could be seasonally based somehow. That is, for example, after
different practices have been identified they could be sorted
according to the one of the four medicine wheel principles (a la
Angeles Arrien), which of course has a corresponding season (and hence
appropriate time of year). I am ready to coordinate this project.

Maybe this would not necessarily be 365 practices. Perhaps some days
could just be milestones in OST days, other days could just be marked
with important OST-related quotations.

What we could create is a downloadable version of this "product" for
printing and adapting locally as an OS fundraising tool.

My own questions around creating another "product" real or virtual is
that the more we create "products" I wonder do we end up cheapening
the initial referent of the product.

In any case, I think this would be a great thing to carry forward and
would love to know what thinking might be necessary to make this a
good idea that people would want to act on.

To jumpstart the list, here are some International ...Days that I
would love to see:

International Soap Bubble Solution in Your Pocket Day (blow bubbles
everywhere; I've tried this and found it is a fascinating process)

International Write and Be the News You Want to See in the World Day
(write a letter to the editor of local newspaper and write about a
local/world event that you are ready to make happen and write about it
as if it has happened and make a personal commitment to take one step
towards making that news happen)

International Hug (Shake the Hand/Bow to/...) a Total Stranger Day

International Say An Affirmation (insert a more appropriate synonym)
to a Total Stranger Day

International Acknowledging the Wisdom of the World Day

International Oh Shit! Day (devoted to consciously coming into the now
as much as possible by saying two wonderful words)

International Keep it Simple, Stupid Day (a day devoted to living in
appropriate technology?)

Raffi

                          mailto:raffi at bk.ru