Questions for OSonOS

Tree Fitzpatrick therese.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 09:31:51 PDT 2005

Your questions have been working me, Chris. I've been trying to wait
until OSonOS to think them through for myself but they are working me
today.

My first thought when I read your questions, Chris, was this:  I
recalled that in my daughter's first grade school, there were a few
simple principles posted in all the rooms in the school to remind both
the students and the teachers of the school's collective vision.  I
can remember going in to that building for various meetings. . . or
just to pick up my kid. . . and taking note of those principles.  The
simple fact that they were posted throughout was an effective echo for
me, a soft reminder of the best intentions of that school community.
I don't know how it impacted others but it affected me.  There were
less than ten sentences and they addressed behavioral expectations and
learning expectations.  Words like respect and responsibility.  I
recall making a point to read them to my daughter each time I
encountered the list because she had not yet mastered the skill of
reading.  I wanted those principles to be working her and to work for
her, which they could not do if she was not conscious of them.

A friend in my Spirited Work community works at Boeing.  He has the
principles of open space posted on a wall in his office.

You ask, Chris, how to integrate an open space approach into an
organization after an 'open space event'.  I know that you know,
Chris, that an organization has to want to continue to integrate the
principles of open space, first and foremost.  But, assuming a client
organization does aspire to tap the power of 'being' and open space
organization, why not posted OS principles throughout the
organization.  A small, butterfly-effect kinda thing.

I have another suggestion, which is not new or anything.  I believe
that only those organizations that consciously gather to collectively
practice OS can become collectively conscious organizations.  Just as
an individual meditates to develop their consciousness, I deeply
believe that human collectives have to consciously gather to
consciously practice collective consciousness.  Yeah, that last
sentence was awkward but it reflects what I am trying to write.
Virtually everyone who has been active in Spirited Work for a period
of time finds the quality of their collaborations with other Spirited
Work folks to be tangibly different from interactins.  Which is not to
suggest that Spirited Work folks are the only way to have a
collective, conscious practice.  Not at all.   The element that
Spirited Work folks have in common is a conscious, collective
aspiration to trust the principles of Open Space, steadily.  Folks on
this list get this, I'm sure.

If I had a client organization that wanted to integrate OS or some
kind of collective consciousness, I would recommend that the
organization build a conscious participation in OS into the
organization.  A weekly self/whole development hour?!  A biweekly OS?
Lunchhour OS?  Monthly OS's for teams.  I did not develop my personal
meditative process after a single training.  Developing conscious
organizations require conscious, ongoing, collective practice.  If
there is a conscious commitment to aspire to grow organizational
consciousness, that's what will happen. . . but practice would be very
useful.

I know you weren't particularly soliciting discussion on this list for
your questions, Chris but they have been quite alive for me ever since
I read them.  Thanks.

--
Warmly,
Tree Fitzpatrick