Deep power differentials in OST

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Fri Jul 15 04:44:27 PDT 2005

Lisa -- the practice of bringing in "dis-empowered folks" early is one that several folks have done that I know of. It certainly makes sense logically, and in the instances I have heard about, it certainly seems to work. But what I don't know is what would have happened had the "weaker" group started with all the rest. And what might have been gained or lost in the bargain?? One thing I am absolutely clear about is that sufficient time is essential. A mini-openspace in a complex power situation (or any other complex and/or conflicted situation) is something that, in my opinion, should be strictly avoided. A full day at least and preferably two!

But on the subject of "gains and losses" -- I find myself scratching my head. For example, the fact that the "weak" were treated as something "special," might that not confirm in their minds the fact that they were "weak?" And since all the rest of the folks would obviously know (I assume) that the "weak" came in early -- might that not tend to confirm their feelings of dominance and superiority? Also I wonder about the judgment being made here as to who is weak and who is powerful? -- It has been my experience, I am sure shared by many others, that individuals who have been oppressed, or never had a whole bunch of opportunities -- possessed amazing personal power which they used in gracious and productive ways. And the reverse is also true -- folks who have all the earmarks of the "dominator group" turn out to be total wimps living in a fear encased shell. Frankly, I can't figure out any way to discriminate between these folks in advance.

I suppose the only way to settle all this would be to run two comparable OS's head to head and see what happens. But even then it would seem to me that the unseen variables and complexities would be such that making a genuine comparison would be almost impossible. I suppose if you did hundreds of such "head to head" comparisons the larger numbers would wash out some of the local variables. Maybe some day when our RESEARCH effort is rolling in high gear we could do such a thing.

In the meantime I only have my experience which has been that special preparation for Open Space doesn't seem to make much difference. And more often the time and effort consumed doing all that would have been better spent having more time in Open Space, or just going to the beach. In one situation I remember particularly, a large bank held an Open Space for it's Fast Track folks -- the brightest and best so to speak. The theme was "Enhancing the profitability of the Bank." However, the judgment was made by the organizers (who happened to be the training department) that the participants might be somewhat lacking when it came to "creativity" -- disempowered in that regard. So a day was added to the program for a grand experience of Creativity Enhancement. And it was truly grand, even fun. But when the whole show was over the common reaction was -- "Why did we waste all that time?" And I even heard some comments to the effect that the experience was in some way demeaning -- sort of like they weren't trusted to do what needed to be done.

A more common experience has been with working with mixed groups of adults and children/teenagers. The going in presumption of the sponsors was that the "children" would somehow be marginalized. But when the great day arrived for the OS, the actual experience was quite different. To be sure the "children" behaved in somewhat different ways than their elders -- but when it came to functioning in Open Space -- it was these "children" who often led the way. Go figure!

Anyhow, I guess I am back where I started. Just open space -- and everything else will take care of itself. At the end of the day I find that when people are treated as responsible human beings (regardless of age, sex, economics, position, etc) and given sufficient time/space (at least one day and preferably two) -- everything works just like usual.

Harrison
Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD  20854