London calling

Masud Sheikh masheikh at COGECO.CA
Sun Jul 10 11:25:05 PDT 2005

Raffi Aftandelian <raffi at bk.ru> wrote:

>I am not sure Paul that I would want to join your conversation with
>Masud on "muslims" in Halifax (as intrigued as I am by it). I am not sure
>it will go anywhere.

It is unlikely that I will join such a conversation myself, Raffi. I do
not look at Muslims as being different from other humans. In some ways
perhaps, the problems of Muslims globally are similar to the problems of
blacks in America, and I find it extremely difficult to subscribe to one
or another simplistic theory to issues that are complex.

In the last few months (now perhaps years) I have been thinking about
issues of identity, e.g who am I, what am I? And among the many attributes
of identity that I have, which is the most basic, the most sacred? And to
start off on that quest, do I know what is NOW the deepest core of my
identity?

I believe one requirement of peace is an acceptance that we first have to
be exemplary humans, before we can be exemplary Muslims, Christians, Jews,
Arabs, Americans, white-skinned, yellow-skinned, purple-skinned etc. A
consious choice has to be made, otherwise we can become pawns in the
various power plays that go on.

When people belonging to one "tribe" (nation, religion or whatever) look
at 'the other' as a novelty to judge, I am reminded of a scene from the
movie “Planet of the Apes”. Here is how it goes:

Jane Fonda and her co-travelers are in a space ship that lands on
an ‘unknown planet’, ruled by apes. Fonda and other specimens of the
unknown species (of humans) are kept in cages by apes. As an aside, it is
interesting that the cages are similar in looks to the Guantanamo cages.
The apes have their own culture and their own intellectuals, and get a
long-haired intellectual to come and look at the humans. This intellectual
ape knows some anthropological history and wisely comments that there was
a time that these humans had their own history and culture, which was
quite advanced for its times. (Those of you who saw the film would
remember that at the end, these lost humans come upon a destroyed statue
of Liberty, and realize that they have traveled forward in time, but are
still on the same planet).

I personally am inclined to agree with what Barry Oshry says at the
beginning of his book 'Leading Systems':

"I discovered recently that the philosopher Baruch Spinoza once said he
was less interested in changing the world than in merely understanding it.
For many years that has also been my quest. Yet I am convinced that
Spinoza and I share the belief that with deep understanding the world
cannot help but change."

Take care, all of you
Masud