Obituary of London Open Space Networker Colin Morley - marketing genius who tried to change the world RE: A soul moves on

chris macrae wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk
Mon Jul 25 03:07:42 PDT 2005

Just relaying this, Chris Macrae, wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk, London

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1535497,00.html
Marketing genius who tried to change the world

Monday July 25, 2005
The Guardian

Colin Morley
Age 52
To attain an understanding of Colin Morley, to fathom how many lives he
touched and the sense of loss that prevails since his death in the
Edgware Road blast, log on to Bethechange.org.uk
There, on a website he helped create, hundreds of people have posted
almost 18,000 words of tribute. They come from Sweden, the US, New
Zealand, Switzerland, Australia, Great Britain and a Tibetan monastery
in Nova Scotia, Canada.

They come from his wife, Ros, his son, Gavin, his friends and work
colleagues - and people he barely knew. They come in regular form and
haiku poems. They come from best-selling authors (Deepak Chopra) and
quote Buddhist teachings. They talk peacefully ("Enjoy your well earned
place in heaven") and in fury at his murder ("I feel empty, speechless,
angry, upset and full of disbelief").
"He was a rare shining star in all ways, and he touched the hearts and
souls of so many," said Ros Morley. "Our lives are forever changed, but
we carry his positive spirit in us and will continue to spread his
desire for peace and love in the world, and his wish to make the world a
better place."
His son, Gavin, added: "Dear Col, your fathering was superb. Later, we
were close friends, and it is for this that I am most grateful. A lot of
love passed between us and the flow continues."
Mr Morley, 52 from Finchley, north London, was a father of three, a
genius in the field of advertising and marketing and an idealist. Much
of his time recently had been spent with the Be The Change movement,
where he used his communication skills to unite people to try to improve
the world. He had previously worked on ad campaigns for Quaker Oats,
Vodafone UK and One 2 One.
Described by one friend as a "hippy in the corporate machine", Mr Morley
once entertained notions of becoming a musician, playing piano in a band
called Nexus. But his talent for marketing led him into the business
world, a platform he used to travel the world and attempt to instigate
change.
"His story will be shared and he will be remembered, and others will
find inspiration, because this work we do, this work that Colin was a
leader of, will not halt with death, your death, my death," a friend
wrote.
Tribute
In 1969, I was on a bus in Liverpool with a group of schoolfriends, on
our way to a rock concert. Another boy asked us if were going to the
concert,and could we show him the way. It was Colin Morley. He burst
into our lives with such a joy, such an enthusiasm, that he changed us
all. He introduced us to new (to us) music, new books, new philosophy.
He told us to read Karl Popper's The Open Society and Its Enemies, to
try to understand the right way to live our lives, to stay childlike in
our appreciation of new and wonderful experiences.
He was still sharing his enthusiasms and his joys with huge numbers of
people, stimulating all who met him, right to the moment of his death.
There are some fine tributes at the Be The Change website, which give
some idea of how many lives he touched, and in such a positive way.
If you ever see the Martin Luther King "Who do you want to have a one to
one with?" advertisement again, on some show called The 100 Greatest
Adverts, that was Colin - showing us a hero, inviting us to raise our
goals as human beings, to acknowledge that all men are brothers.
More recently he was involved in Rights and Humanity. It would be
fitting to remember him by contributing to this attempt to build a
better world.
. Keith Clarke, Putney