Fw: Deep power differentials in OST

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Wed Jul 13 04:31:12 PDT 2005

Chris -- funny thing -- I have never noticed great power differences making much of a difference either. What I have noticed is that in situations where everybody said that the differentials in power would shut the space down -- this did not happen. I found that very surprising. In a Latin American corporate setting with the President-owner very much present and taking an active part in a "whole company" OS, the going in conventional wisdom was that nobody would say a word until "he" spoke, and then only those words that aligned with his position. In actual fact, the President was largely ignored and one session that he proposed had zero participants. I guess it isn't accurate to say that he was ignored -- but certainly treated as a respected colleague. No less, no more.

Would this always be true? Obviously you can't say -- and for sure there must have been somebody, somewhere, sometime who felt repressed for what ever reason. And the next question, of course, would be should we (as facilitators) attempt some special intervention/facilitation to assist such people? Personally, I rather think not -- for several reasons. First of all, I am not very clear how you would determine who such people were. Words are not the only way of participating and making a point/contribution, and just because somebody says little or nothing is not necessarily an indication that they are uninvolved. I remember one lady in a non-western culture who attended several sessions where the other participants were for the most part male. It was a smallish OS, so I could pretty well hear/see what was going on. As best as I could see, she never opened her mouth. But when the session was over, the other participants came up to her and thanked her for her contribution. She smiled and went to another group -- also male dominated.

I guess the major reason I would keep my hands off is that I find that empowerment is ultimately something you must give yourself. If I intervene and offer a quart of power -- guess who is powerful? On the otherhand, when an individual takes that first, perhaps tentative, step to claim their own power by word or deed, that is a self-gift that can never be taken away and will never be forgotten. And once that small step is taken others seem quickly to notice the possibilities. In an odd way, the dis-empowered can seemly empower others in ways that the powerful can never manage.

Now it is quite true that in the moment a group will lose the input/contribution of the hesitant. And perhaps that input/contribution could have been critical to the "mission" of the group. Obviously that is a loss -- but I never look at a single OS "event" as an end in itself. As I see it, it is always a moment on the journey. I think we have all had the experience of the true impact of an OS showing up weeks, months, or years after the gathering -- and showing up in ways we could never anticipate. In several situiations like that which I recall, the instigating factor was one of those apparent non-participants who had a small taste of their own power and then decided to use it.

So Chris, I guess where I come down on your question is just to let the "space" do its work. Of course, we have a major job to do in holding that space with dignity, respect and expectation, but for me this is just one more thing not to do.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD  20854