learning skills in OS

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at pochtamt.ru
Fri Jul 1 13:57:39 PDT 2005

Colleagues,
I forgot to include one thought on OS:

After I was trained in OS, I realized that I learned Russian in a public US high school essentially in OS in the mid-80's. Before we were plunged straight into OS, the teacher gave us the bare minimum for Russian: we learned the letters, pronounciation, and a little more. Then he said (essentially): "OK, you need to complete 2 chapters per quarter. You need to do the following written, oral, aural assignments for each chapter (lists were handed out). What pace you do them is up to you. But 2 chapters is the quota. If you complete more than 2 chapters, you get a 2% bonus for each additional chpater.

So we went to class each day, we could sit quietly and study; we could ask each other questions and figure out the grammar by ourselves. The teacher almost never "taught" anything. Rather, he was available whenever we wanted to complete an assignment. If we thought we were ready to do an oral exercise, we banded together with others who were ready too and approached the teacher, who conducted the oral grammar exercise with us. If we successfully did the assignment, he would sign our task sheet; one more task had been completed; one more step closer to finishing the chapter. With time, other students were deemed knowledgeable enough to conduct certain exercises instead of the teacher- and sign off for the teacher.

We were self-managed, self-organizing. The principles and law all applied here...

So maybe skills can be learned in OS?

Other stories?
Raffi