a new species of bug discovered in open space

Michael Herman mjherman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 23:35:02 PDT 2005

In the beginning there were bumblebees and butterflies.... and then
Jeff Aitken discovered giraffes... those who sit in a group but strain
their necks trying to see/hear what's happening in other groups...

Today was day one of a three day capacity building conference for
members and friends of the Omidyar Network (http://www.omidyar.net).
Our proceedings are here, for the curious...
http://www.omidyar.net/group/conference/ws/proceedings/

This is a community that's been formed almost entirely online, in a
conferencing system created and funded by eBay creator Pierre Omidyar.
 The group is pretty well wired, and wi-fi'd.  We're meeting in a
place that's an old friend of mine, where Harrison and I have done
many an OST training... the Carleton Hotel, which is also entirely
wi-fi'd out.

So we're swimming in laptops and all of the proceedings are going
directly into the O.net website.  The group is so fast taht even our
gathering dinner was recorded before i could even think about making a
proceedings page.  All the topics were posted online before i could
even scribble them on a page for transcription.

In the midst of all of this direct connecting to the web, we've
discovered a new OS critter: the worm.  these are the folks who will
sit in one session but be squirming over by wi-fi'd laptop to listen
in on the simultaneous postings of other groups taking notes directly
into other laptops.  they can even chime in if they like.

not saying it's good or bad... no matter really... just reporting that
it's happening.  i'm personally not ever very excited about this sort
of immediate reporting, too often it's just a boring transcript... but
this group is quite skilled... and the online environment is first
nature, first culture... so it really fits.  as more and more get
wi-fi'd and skilled, you're bound to find some worms popping up in
your own bug collections.

and... if the osonos site is wi-fi'd we just might come up iwth yet
another bug, but i can't imagine what to call it, if i successfully
skype my way into corrigan's laptop for a session i'd like to convene
there in halifax while i have to be here in chicago.

watch out and enjoy!

michael

--

Michael Herman Associates
http://www.michaelherman.com

Small Change News Network
http://www.smallchangenews.org
...blogging giving flourishing

Omidyar Network meets in Chicago, July 29-31st!
http://www.moreandmore.us
...people making good things happen