New Paradigms, Hebrew, God, a sermon - long (with cuffs, please)

Chris Kloth chris at got2change.com
Mon Jul 25 19:25:14 PDT 2005

Harrison Owen wrote:

> And reading Wilber and Kuhn wouldn't hurt. Both pretty bright guys.
> Kuhn doubtless wrote other stuff, but the seminal work is/was "The
> Structures of Scientific Revolution" -- I think it was published by
> Princeton, or maybe it was Chicago (University Press). Wilber has damn
> near buried the world in paper. All of it is good, but some is better
> than the rest. A good introduction might be something like, "A Brief
> History of Everything."  He is a wonderful writer, great storyteller,
> totally outrageous, and a massive intellect. Other than that he is
> pretty run of the mill. And if you are looking for other good stuff to
> read, you might check out the section on www.openspaceworld.com
> <http://www.openspaceworld.com> called "Literature."

"The Structure of Scientific Revolutions" [by Thomas S. Kuhn, University
of Chicago Press, 1962, 1970] had a huge impact on me when I was in
school in the early 70s.  It is no surprise that Harrison has done a
fine job of capturing key points from it.  I agree with Harrison that,
in Kuhn's role as a philosopher of science and historian at a particular
moment in time, he was more concerned with addressing the barriers to
breakthroughs, not what would come next.

That said, I would like to elaborate on one aspect of Kuhn's work with a
slightly different em-PHA-sis.

In doing so I also want to call your attention to Kuhn's earlier work,
"The Copernican Revolution: Planetary Astronomy in the Development of
Western Thought" [Vintage Book/Random House, 1957, 1959].   While there
is some real astronomy in the book, it is fairly easy to read or skip in
order to get to the social implications.  He also wrote a book called
"The Essential Tension: Selected Studies in Scientific Tradition and
Change" [University of Chicago Press 1977].    This one has less "hard
science" in it and you will recognize the how science was anticipating
the social consequences in our lives today.

The reason I think it is important to add The Copernican Revolution is
that Kuhn suggests that you know you are facing a paradigm shift when
people defending the dominant belief system are prepared to enforce
serious sanctions to maintain the status quo.  Both Copernicus and
Galileo(reference in Scientific Revolutions) faced state enforced death
to pursue their new views.  They were not "thinking outside of the
box."   Their thinking, and that of others Kuhn refers to, were so far
beyond conventional thinking that they were not even acknowledging a box
that one might think outside of.  They were laying the conceptual
foundations that were needed for Westerners to reframe what we might now
call consciousness.  As much as we criticize the linear mechanical
thinking that spiral dynamics and other models help us escape, their
models seem to me to have been necessary

In my view, Joel Barker's superficial analysis of Kuhn has trivialized
what is at stake for people at the time of a real paradigm shift.  In
both these cases the dominant culture perceived threats to its belief in
the existence and power of God, to the power that the church had because
of its connection to god and the power of the rich who filled the
churches with riches.  The official punishment for such heresy was death.

I think this is more than just a matter of semantics or an academic
debate.  Barker has trivialized the potential depth and force of
resistance change agents (referring to people who see the new reality
and keep the light on it - be they community members or consultants -
AKA, outside agitators) must be alert to in systems at the time of a
real paradigm shift.  Not only must change agents anticipate and plan
for the resistance, in my view (which I think is consistent with the
inclusive values of OST), the change agent must understand the fear
resulting from the perception of what is at stake and embrace their
resistance (not their beliefs) help create space to find what will be
required to let go and move on.  If you think some people will resist an
"outside of the box" solution to a problem when people have at least
acknowledged there is problem to be solved, wait until you confront
their fundamental view of reality...something that they did not invite
anyone to do!   In situations like this I believe OST facilitators need
to be able to create and hold space in a crucible of considerable
strength, and hoping people may think outside the box ain't gonna get it.

In the more modern examples provided by Kuhn the proponents did not face
state enforced death, but they faced potential professional death
through marginalization, loss of livelihood and other community
sanctions.   As many of you know very well, there are times in civil
society around the world today where people may face death for
challenging the fundamenatal order of society.   My experience is that
the people who propose "thinking outside the box" in such situations are
people who have very little insight into what is at stake and are
probably not going to have to hang around during the implimentation of
or living of the change.

That does not mean I think people should not engage in the risky work of
paradigm shifts.  On some level, having discovered the new reality there
is no going back.   Just know that if it is really a paradigm shift then
there will be a lot at stake for the people promoting change and those
resisting it.   I believe OST can and has helped create a container for
working on such change.  It is why I honor the process and do not take
my role in it lightly.

A much newer book I am recommending to everyone doing our kind of work
is "Navigating the Badlands" by a futurist named Mary O'Hare-Devereux.
While she does not use the term paradigm, she was noticing that, in
recent years, her tools were not getting her the kinds of results she
anticipated.  She goes back thousands of years to compare times when the
world seemed to be evolving or developing or stagnating (behaving in
predictable ways) and times of transformation...when the whole world
seemed to get turned upside down (for many decades or more) before it
returned to some degree of predictability.  For example, the use of
alphabets changed the world....not one alphabet, or the first
alphabet...the worldwide use of alphabets, all kinds of alphabets,
changed everything.

Anyway, she discovered there was a different set of patterns within the
chaos...order emerges from chaos.  She then applies this to what she
believes is a change cycle we have all been in for about a decade and
will continue in for about a decade.  She also provides insights into
where to look for both the opportunities and resistance.

Finally, an aside.   The term paradigm existed before Kuhn and did refer
to patterns - especially in language.  It is interesting to me that one
of the examples of how the term was applied prior to Kuhn was the
reading of Hebrew.   When Hebrew is printed, like in the Torah, the
letters that represent what we would call vowels in English are not
included.  As a result, there are many patterns of Hebrew consonants
that, without vowels, look identical yet have very different meanings
and pronunciations.  However, if you are raised in Jewish culture you
"know" the difference.  You don't notice anything missing and probably
would not know what someone outside the culture, trained in text book or
dictionary Hebrew, was confused about.

I believe that much about true paradigms, like most of what we
experience as culture, operates on this sub-conscious level...invisible
to those who are a part of it.  It's not in our head or our heart...it's
in our blood and DNA.  Thus, some levels of resistance are not conscious
push back as much as they are confusion, dissonance and fear.  Even some
of the conscious, intentional resistance may be in reaction to the
conscious awareness of beliefs rooted in unexamined deeper beliefs
learned at pre-verbal stages of life...when we were forming our senses
of reality, not "knowledge" of reality.

I have rambled on far too long...besides, I feel the urge to watch South
Pacific..."you've got to be carefully taught!"  ;-)

Chris Kloth