Fw: Deep power differentials in OST

Chris Kloth chris at got2change.com
Wed Jul 13 13:24:56 PDT 2005

In general my sense of this question is congruent with Harrison's recent
post.

In addition, it seems to me there are three times on the road to and
through open space when we (opener/holder of space, consultant,
facilitator...) do, can and should explicitly or implicitly address
power differentials.

First, when someone asks me to do an open space, or when I pursue that
option with a client, I want to be very clear about what underlying
values, beliefs and principles make the process appropriate for a
situation and for the aspirations of the people sponsoring and attending
the event.  We are laying the foundation for addressing power
differentials when we make sure that the sponsor understands that the
power of the process is, in part, rooted in the value of all
participants and the potential for people (from the top, middle, bottom,
inside, outside, etc.) to contribute in valuable ways.  When we notice
resistance during this stage we need to learn about it and find out if
and how we will work that through.  How the question or topic to
explored is framed also gives us a chance to build this into the process
before it happens.

Second, while I love Harrison's native American images of the process of
walking the circle and entering the circle as we open the space, I also
think of this process as an invocation.  In that context, I find that
the words I use in this process are chosen to link their theme
(content), aspirations and roles to the explicit and implicit values,
beliefs and principles of open space...which means that power and
empowerment are themes but not instructions.  Each of the principles and
the law include an implicit message about power.  I try to cycle through
the mind, body and spirit (the theme/work, the people, the aspirations)
at least three times before opening the market and one more time as
people leave to go to the first session.

By the way, my experience (limited to the US) is that when power
differentials were an issue for participants it showed up as a topic or
as part of several topics in the market place.

Finally, Funda's observation about a wink, smile, invitation, joke, etc.
gets at an aspect of what we mean by "holding the space."  It seems to
me that when we walk around, listen, observe, sense what is going on we
are in a position to choose and resist verbal, non-verbal and other
energetic behavior to support, not advocate, the efforts of people to
speak and act in powerful new ways.

Chris Kloth