Taking a Nap

Elwin and Joan elwinandjoan at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 30 14:07:46 PST 2005

--- Harrison Owen <hhowen at comcast.net> wrote:
 “In order to take a good nap -- you just have to let It all go.
Otherwise you just toss and turn, and the nap is useless. And by
physically removing myself, more space inevitably opens. For anybody
who thought I was going to take charge, my absence puts that silly
notion to rest.”

I take it one step further. Every time I Open Space I close the opening
with the promise I made earlier (when I gave recognition to the many
hands-up signals about questions) and that is to “answer” everyone’s
every question. I point out that the only answer they will ever get is
to simply do as they wish. To emphasize the point that they are totally
free to make any choice they wish, I point out that I am now leaving
the Space and returning to my room for a 2-3 hour nap! They sit seemily
stunned as I walk out of the room. I always fall fast asleep and I am
never surprised at how many participants ask me later if I slept well.

Harrison also said, “There may be something else here as well.  Given a
real knotty problem that is going nowhere near solution -- I find that
the best thing to do is "sleep on it." More often than not, when the
morning comes, the way forward is clearer.”

As a senior manager in a large organization I was often put on “the
spot” for an immediate decision on what was considered by others to be
a “do or die” matter! My response was always; “I never make such
decisions without a night to sleep on it.”  I stayed with that rule and
it served me very very well over a long course of time. I strongly
recommend it to all.

Harrison, it is all so simple, clear and transforming. Thanks!

=====
Elwin Guild
Future Development International
Baltimore