How do you live in open space?

Alan Stewart alan at creativestate.biz
Mon Jan 24 12:54:48 PST 2005

G'day All

Like other commentators in this lively thread, being prompted by Doug's reminder question has triggered new reflections and has brought diverse items to my attention.

This is what 'popped out' for me when browsing my favourite newspaper a few days ago:

"What the media portray, like one of those fairground mirrors, is a grotesque species that murders, squabbles, bullies and dies. What is omitted is the extraordinary ordinariness that keeps people getting up in the morning, the humour, innocence, generosity, love and friendship - the very human characteristics that might begin to inspire more confidence in our ability to alleviate, rather than simply know about, the suffering of others."

                                                       Excerpted from: 'A hall of mirrors' by Madeline Bunting. Guardian Weekly Jan 21 2005 p 16

Living in open space leads me to notice - and be continually 'amazed but not surprised' by - everyday such 'extraordinary ordinariness.'

Furthermore, to be more aware - hopefully - of the many and diverse ways in which I disrespect others as well as my 'self.' And of being
more considerate in handling my emotional response to perceptions of not being respected personally.

Waxing further philosophically as have esteemed contributors here :-):

Also to hold a bit more fire on ascribing meaning to what others do.*

"The attribution of deliberate intent to negative behaviour is the fundamental flaw in human thinking."
                                                                                                                                        Philip Zimbardo

* I love the Meaning is Difference notion, even though, being picky (sic), it came from a person
who will use two email addresses <grin>

Looking forward ...

Alan
Adelaide (to be Hong Kong from Friday)

... somehow emerging from the periodic chaos inherent in preparing to move to another country at much shorter notice than we had had in mind!