preparing the sponsor for open space

Pannwitz, Michael M mmpanne at boscop.de
Sat Jan 22 16:00:19 PST 2005

Dear Kim.
seems like I have experience similarly complex situations with
"Planning Groups".
Here are some thoughts:
-it helps generally to have a similar mix of the group
expected/invited to the open space present in the Planning Group
itself, like a microcosm of the group expected at the open space
-it helps to pose the questions you are raising to the Planning
Group, they are likely to know best how to address the
questions....and they are the ones who need to do this
-the sponsor/the Planning Group are participants in the open space,
that is, they are invited like all other participants to bring their
issues to the open space...this means they can scheme and plan and
get ready for the os just like everyone else without having any
guarantee that what they expect from the os will actually happen
-it is a good idea for the sponsor to clearly state what he expects
from the open space during that brief period when he opens the event
(before handing over to the facilitator the job of introducing open
space technology)
-the extended time the Planning Group is investing to get ready for
the os might be linked to an interest to control what is happening
there....it might be pointed out to them that the control mode is one
surefire way to close space
Hope you are having a great time with this process
Greetings from Berlin
mmp

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 04:30:51 -0700, Kimberley Willing wrote:

>Hi OSLIST,
>
>In early March I will be facilitating an Open Space for an Australia wide
>network of natural resource management (NRM) facilitators looking into the
>question of the 'NRM Journey - On the right track? ..... the challenges and
>opportunites before us as we facilitate NRM into the future.'
>
>This network of facilitators is half way its current program and the aim is
>enable them to exchange ideas, experiences and channel their passion and
>creativity towards an even more effective network (and future for their
>program).   The group who are providing this opportunity are called
>the 'Network Development Group' (NDG) and they have a kind of pastoral care
>role for the professional development of the network.  This group is made
>up of 2 volunteers from each state but is still a little unclear as to
>whether the whole network is happy for them to undertake their role on
>their behalf.  The NDG is really beginning to see the broader possibilities
>of their role in looking after the interests of the network - in areas such
>as mentoring, communications, advocacy (managing upwards) etc.
>
>Although the NDG are responsible for 'rolling out' this conference and
>biannual meetings, the ultimate sponsors of the conference are probably the
>executive made up of 2 people from each of the agencies involved in this
>national NRM program.  The decision to hold an Open Space forum reflects
>the evolution of trust that these people have in the network.
>
>I have met with the NDG to build their understanding of Open Space and they
>are aware of the importance of 'enrolling' the executive in the possibility
>of the conference.  They will thus be inviting one of the exec to open the
>conference before handing over to me.
>
>Logistics are all handled and invitations going out to those who are
>considered to be part of the system (ie; not only the facilitator network
>but other partners too).
>
>MY QUESTION IS regarding the work that needs to be done with the NDG and
>the executive prior to the open space.  I have the luxury of a whole day
>with the NDG in a couple of weeks and am wondering what we would be best
>placed to do with the considerable investment of their time.  I don't
>believe the executive are attending this meeting.
>
>The NDG are keen to embark on developing a 5yr strategic plan and I am
>conflicted as to how much of the thinking behind this should be developed
>prior to the Open Space - especially given that they are not clear that
>they have the mandate of the network re: their existence, their make up and
>their role.
>
>So far, the NDG's thoughts for what they want to achieve at our mtg (in
>preparation for the Open Space) are:
>
>To reflect on what they have achieved since formed (GOOD)
>To explore the 'givens' of the Group and, I would add, the givens for the
>open space.(CAN WE DO THIS WITHOUT THE EXEC PRESENT?  PERHAPS THEY COULD
> [...]

Michael M Pannwitz, boscop eG i.G.
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
++49-30-772 8000
www.boscop.de   www.michaelmpannwitz.de

Check out the new Open Space World Map now with 158 Open Space Workers in 37 countries
www.openspaceworldmap.org